Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-18-2024, 01:29 PM   #1
naenee
naenee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara BW
"On Device" not working after Calibre restart?

Hi there

I've just got a new e-reader, a Kobo Clara BW, which I'm enjoying a lot.
I've installed Koreader (recent nightly) and am using Calibre to sync books using USB.

Calibre sees my device, I can send books to main memory and it will show a green checkmark in "On Device". However, if I restart Calibre or disconnect and reconnect, the "On Device" status is cleared.

I see no option to scan the e-reader for books and if I go to Device -> Show books in the main memory of the device, no books show up.

I've tried searching these forums and elsewhere (reddit, google), but I've not found a solution yet.

Does anyone have a suggestion / tip? Thank you.
naenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:48 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is a WAD.
That is the current state, not a history.
If you want a history (after disconnect), then you need to make some sort of tag

ondevice: true : select all: Bulk metadata edit (e): Add Tag (or what other custom col): <value>
I have "onK4", "onA2" or "onL2" into my USer tag col
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2024, 04:12 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Unless you are allowing Nickel to run so the books gets imported after calibre has sent them, they will not be in the database and will not show on the next connect.

A couple of questions:

Where in main memory are you sending the books? I would suggest a directory with the books stored in subdirectories below that directory. This is most easily done from the Save template on the first page of the driver configuration dialog.

My personal choice is:
Code:
Elib/{author_sort:sublist(0,1,&)}/{title} - {authors:sublist(0,1,&)}
Elib is the directory in the root of the exposed storage, a subdirectory based on the first author in the author sort list is next and then the title - first author in the author list for the filename. The first item bits are to keep the number of characters in the file path/filename under control.

Elib/Carroll, Lewis/Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll.epub

Is the directory you are sending the books to visible to Nickel? If you installed KOReader using the install script or manually added the ExcludeSyncFolders= setting, it will exclude .adds and it's subdirectories.
Code:
ExcludeSyncFolders=(\\.(?!kobo|adobe).+|([^.][^/]*/)+\\..+)
When you safely eject and Nickel runs, do you see the importing content screen?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-18 130431.png
Views:	21
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	209030  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 04:22 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The original query was in Library Managment as "On Device" not working after Calibre restart?

If you click on your username and then on Find More Posts by <username>, it will show your posts unless you have managed to create a large number in which case, that will still show your recent posts.
Old 06-18-2024, 04:23 PM   #5
naenee

Should the current state show the books being on the device when it's connected? I understand that it shouldn't when it's not, as it has nothing to compare to, unless it keeps a record. My issue is that when the device is connected but in a different 'session' from when I transferred the books, it will not show them as on device.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Advert
Old 06-18-2024, 04:27 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist

For Kobo ereaders, the On Device comes from the database. The database records are created during the book import process after you safely disconnect. See my response to your post in the Library Management thread.

There is an exception where calibre will mark books that have been sent to your Kobo during the current session as being On Device. This is a temporary marking and will not persist if, for example, you restart calibre.
Old 06-19-2024, 02:10 AM   #7
naenee

Okay, I will check some things, thank you for your replies. And my double post which I lost was even found Huzzah.
Old 06-19-2024, 02:12 AM   #8
naenee

Thank you for your replies, and my other thread was even found!
I will check some things and get back to you.
Old 06-19-2024, 03:39 AM   #9
naenee

Okay. I set my save locations to "Elib/{author_sort:sublist(0,1,&)}/{title} - {authors:sublist(0,1,&)}" as you suggested. I was using the main storage folder without a subdir previously.

I am using Koreader, I think Nickel is Nickelmenu, from which Koreader is launched? I used an install script indeed, powershell from a thread elsewhere on these forums.

@theducks, I do not understand what you mean. I only know WADs from Doom, Hexen, etc I can add a custom column, but would that automatically track the status? I found a plugin which allows me to add books to a "Reading List", but again, that's a manual action, I'd like to have books marked automatically when/after adding them to the e-reader.

I understand the "current state", but I expected it to show/detect what is on the reader while it is connected.
Old 06-19-2024, 07:08 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by naenee View Post
@theducks, I do not understand what you mean. I only know WAD from
I suspect he mistyped WAG, which is a reference to English football players arm…

Nah, never mind it means "Wild Ass Guess".

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 07:32 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I suspect he mistyped WAG, which is a reference to English football players arm…

Nah, never mind it means "Wild Ass Guess".

BR
Nope!
Works As Designed
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 12:33 PM   #12
naenee

Okay.. very odd. Suddenly, two books I've been reading show up as "On Device". I've added a bunch more, but they don't show up after a restart of calibre / reconnect of the device.
I tried opening a third book in Koreader, but that's not it either.

I found this "The solution to sending eBooks to the Kobo is to go back to Nickel when you want to add more eBook(s)."

What does that mean? What is Nickel? Nickel Menu?
I tried exiting Koreader and starting Koreader again from Nickelmenu, but that wasn't it.

Tried restarting the device as well.

Source: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=353936

Okay.. the two books that do show up in Calibre, show up outside of Koreader, in the default Kobo interface.
The rest of the books do not.

Found this, has instructions for a plugin to update the data, but that doesn't seem to do anything either:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322786

Last edited by naenee; 06-19-2024 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 12:39 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Ok... The OnDevice ONLY shows up for books that are listed in the Kobo database; this database is ONLY updated after the device is disconnected and the Kobo displays the message "scaning for new content".

If it does perform a scan and you still don't see books listed on the next connection, this is possibly an indication that the databse on the Kobo is corrupted. This can be detected via (among other things) using the Kobo Utilities plugin to calibre and doing a database scan.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 12:58 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by naenee View Post
I am using Koreader, I think Nickel is Nickelmenu, from which Koreader is launched? I used an install script indeed, powershell from a thread elsewhere on these forums
Nickel is the Kobo GUI from which you are using NickelMenu to launch KOReader.

If the Kobo database is corrupted, you should get a complaint about that when connecting using the KoboTouch/KoboTouchExtended driver (not sure if this requires the Kobo Utilities plugin to be installed). If you are connecting to calibre from within KOReader, you may want to try using NickelMenu to do an import books before next running KOReader (this will emulate a USB connect/disconnect while Nickel is running).

Code:
menu_item : main    : Import books       : nickel_misc    : rescan_books_full

Last edited by DNSB; 06-19-2024 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 01:40 PM   #15
naenee

Okay, I understand how to have calibre remember the "on device" status, I have to exit Koreader and sync books outside of it. Then I will see the progress bar @PeterT referred to.

How do I run that command @DNSB?