Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM   #1
pypeke
Connoisseur
pypeke began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Old financial file appears every time I download a Kindle book

When I download a book from Kindle when using Kindle for PC 2.4.0 (70904), an old financial data file appears with the book data. It has happened every single time.

When I use the old Nook app, the accounting file does not appear, but it does when I use the Kindle app. If I click on the file, it opens up in my accounting program.

I will contact my accounting program's people, but I wondered if anyone here has noticed the same thing when using the Kindle app.

What is going on?

I was going to post a screen shot, but I can't post an image, only URL.

Thanks,
pypeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It isn't an accounting file, it just has an extension that is the same as the one used by your accounting program. You can ignore it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #3
sgmoore
Connoisseur
sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypeke View Post

When I use the old Nook app, the accounting file does not appear, but it does when I use the Kindle app. If I click on the file, it opens up in my accounting program.
You aren't supposed to click on it.

A book can be downloaded in different formats depending on which program is used to download it.

I'm guessing the file is the .voucher file which is part of the kfx format, whereas the nook is probably downloading using an older format. Confusingly they both can have the .azw extension.
sgmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'm just curious as to how the OP is downloading a book from Amazon using the Nook app.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm just curious as to how the OP is downloading a book from Amazon using the Nook app.
I assumed downloading from B&N in the Nook app?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I assumed downloading from B&N in the Nook app?
That's what I originally thought but that would require purchasing the same book at Amazon and B&N.
Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That's what I originally thought but that would require purchasing the same book at Amazon and B&N.
I assumed it was a general complaint related to Amazon rather than a particular title.

Hopefully it will be explained.

I personally use a browser for Amazon and I discovered if you are in EU you can't even install the Android Nook App. Maybe Barnes & Noble only sell in the USA?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I personally use a browser for Amazon and I discovered if you are in EU you can't even install the Android Nook App. Maybe Barnes & Noble only sell in the USA?
B&N used to sell in the USA and UK but dumped their UK operation quite a while back.
Old Yesterday, 11:41 PM   #9
pypeke
Connoisseur

"When I download a book from Kindle when using Kindle for PC 2.4.0 (70904), an old financial data file appears with the book data. It has happened every single time.

When I use the old Nook app, the accounting file does not appear, but it does when I use the Kindle app. If I click on the file, it opens up in my accounting program."

Now that would be bizarre to download a Kindle book from a Nook app....IF that is what I had typed. LOL I just meant to say that a Nook download does not give me the MD file, but the Kimdle does.

Where does that MD file come from when I download a Kindle book? It opens in my accounting program.
Old Today, 02:08 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I download books using Kindle for Mac, I get several files, only one of which is the book:

.azw: the book
.lpr : some last position info in pseudo-xml
.apnx : page numbers to locations map in a binary format
.phl : some metadata in XML format
.mbpV2 : some metadata in JSON format

Kindle for Mac isn't intended for you to use the downloaded book, only to read the downloaded book, so it creates/downloads others files that the program finds useful when displaying the book. You can ignore them.

.md? I've not seen that, but it depends on the version of Kindle for Mac/PC I expect.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:55 AM   #11
sgmoore
Connoisseur
sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypeke View Post
Where does that MD file come from when I download a Kindle book? It opens in my accounting program.
Why does it matter?

It comes from Amazon. The Kindle for PC program is not designed to download books for other programs to use and so is free to download the book in any format it wishes and in how many bits it desires. It happens to use the .azw.md extension for part of some books.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/KFX describes it as a metadata container, so md for metadata makes sense.

Since you are not supposed to be opening this file directly, their program does not register this extension, but obviously your accounting program also uses this file extension and has registered it.

If I tried to open this file, it would open in NotePad++ as I use it to open markdown files which also use the .md extension.

As others have said, just leave it be and ignore it.
sgmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:47 AM   #12
pypeke
Connoisseur

sgmoore, It matters to me because I do not understand computer programs or how it popped up. I am sorry if my question bothers you. I am a teacher so I like learning how or why things work. Feel free to ignore me! LOL

PDurrant, MoneyDance people said the same thing....it was an .md extension in Kindle. In the latest MoneyDance update, they no longer use .md.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old Today, 12:05 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Perhaps trying to open a KFX metadata container file using an accounting program is not the best idea? I would suggest not clicking on the .azw.md file and just leave it alone.

Last edited by DNSB; Today at 12:07 PM.