Notices

Old 12-28-2022, 03:32 PM   #1
mg10
Connoisseur
mg10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW, Kobo Aura One
Bezels in Scribe, not sealed?

Hi all
I've just adquired a Kindle Scribe. It works fine but there is something that I don't like and not sure if is normal: I can see though the space between the bezel and the glass that is not sealed, even the power button is visible between them. Please, could someone who owners a scribe confirm this?
Thanks
mg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:40 PM   #2
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
There was a thread on Reddit on this. I believe it's normal. Someone else asked and showed a close up picture
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2022, 04:00 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon is charging a lot of money for a device that's not properly put together.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 04:42 PM   #4
mg10
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
There was a thread on Reddit on this. I believe it's normal. Someone else asked and showed a close up picture
I tried to find that thread but nothing. I don't know if return it. I'll wait for someone who owns one and confirms this.
Thanks

Last edited by mg10; 12-28-2022 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:06 PM   #5
BanditoB
Enthusiast
BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Boox Tab Ultra, Boox Tab Ultra C, Kindle Oasis-9th Gen
@mg10

I just looked very closely at my Scribe and there is a small but even gap all the way around the display between the display glass and the rear housing. It looks normal to me. I then took a flashlight and went around the device and you can definitely see that the gap exists all around the display. And, yes, if you shine the light on the gap near the power button, you can see it deep inside.

Had you not brought this up, I would never have noticed this, but it is there. It doesn't bother me. Perhaps it is needed to isolate the touchscreen functionality from the rear case. Who knows?
BanditoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2022, 04:21 AM   #6
untilyouarrived
Enthusiast
untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Remarkable 2, HiSense Hi Reader
Mine is the same, though it's more visible on the right hand side. I didn't notice it until I read the previously mentioned Reddit thread.
untilyouarrived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 04:31 AM   #7
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Same issue here! A gap that's about 1mm between the bezel and the edge of the screen. Super annoying. Wondering when I'll start seeing little dust pinpricks underneath the screen to be honest...
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 04:38 AM   #8
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg10 View Post
I tried to find that thread but nothing.
found these:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...cribe_problem/

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindlescrib..._confirm_this/
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 07:51 AM   #9
mg10
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditoB View Post
@mg10

I just looked very closely at my Scribe and there is a small but even gap all the way around the display between the display glass and the rear housing. It looks normal to me. I then took a flashlight and went around the device and you can definitely see that the gap exists all around the display. And, yes, if you shine the light on the gap near the power button, you can see it deep inside.

Had you not brought this up, I would never have noticed this, but it is there. It doesn't bother me. Perhaps it is needed to isolate the touchscreen functionality from the rear case. Who knows?
Thanks for your answer. Seems to be something normal. We'll have to accept it. I don't know what will happen with dust, if it will enter the screen. It won't be easy to clean it.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:53 AM   #10
mg10
Connoisseur

Thanks so much. It's exactly the same in my Scribe
Old 12-30-2022, 01:17 PM   #11
mg10
Connoisseur

Finally, I received a new Scribe as replacement after consulting to Amazon's support. Same problem than first device. It's interesting that Support sends a new device considering it's a manufacturing defect, and the new one comes with the same problem. However, I like this screen: very clear, great resolution and a very uniform light. I'll keep it. I just hope that the dust or dirt that enters from the sides does not affect it.
Old 12-30-2022, 03:54 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why would you keep the Scribe with this defect? Tell Amazon you want one without this defect and find out what they have to say about it.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:42 PM   #13
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
I didn't notice the issue with the bezel until I saw comments in the forum. The beautiful screen blinded me <g>. When I stare at some of the early promo videos I see the same gap that I have. I think it's a design flaw, not a manufacturing defect.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:38 PM   #14
mg10
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
I didn't notice the issue with the bezel until I saw comments in the forum. The beautiful screen blinded me <g>. When I stare at some of the early promo videos I see the same gap that I have. I think it's a design flaw, not a manufacturing defect.
Yes, I think so. Maybe some of them have the gap narrower than others, but I think it's a design issue.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:40 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I would never pay that much for a device with such a defect.