Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

The bezels on the new Kindles

I was just examining some photos of the new Kindles on the Amazon website. Although i don't care for the silver bezels, I did notice what is perhaps a significant improvement. The K3 bezel has more or less squared corners around the screen. The new Kindle bezels (Touch and Non-touch) have what appear to be more rounded corners. This might be significant from an engineering perspective. The K3 sometimes developed hairline cracks in their bezel near the corners. The more squared a corner the more likely it can crack when stressed. The new more rounded corners should help to prevent these stress cracks from occurring on the new models.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
I have to agree I also am not a fan of silver.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
fr0stbit3
Enthusiast
fr0stbit3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th Gen Basic
Nice observation!
fr0stbit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
I noticed this too for the same reason. Also, I believe the hairline cracks (from which I suffer) were limited to the graphite units. A change in color/composite may aid in this as well.

After viewing the video, I think the "silver" bezel is a nice compromise between the graphite and the stark white of the original models.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think it is just shiny gray plastic, not silver. A distinction without a difference, perhaps..

Last edited by tomsem; 09-28-2011 at 05:46 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
The light color of the original Kindles makes their screens appear a little dark. The (dark) graphite color makes text look lighter. I think it also causes wider margins to be needed. I am hoping the light gray color of the new Kindles make the screen and text look just right.

I am also glad that now there are choices between keyboard or not, touchscreen or not, and some color choices. I hope they all sell well enough that none are canceled.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
benjamintm
benjamintm began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
Nothing a can of matte black spray paint can't fix :-).

Ben
benjamintm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
peartree
Enthusiast
peartree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
I didn't realize hairline cracks in the corners were a common issue. I've noticed this recently on my K3. Is it something I should actually be worried about, or is it just a cosmetic thing?
peartree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I have one little hairline crack and it hasn't made a difference. It happened when DH accidentally tossed his bag on top of my Kindle. It was in the case, fortunately. I didn't realize it was such a common thing.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peartree View Post
I didn't realize hairline cracks in the corners were a common issue. I've noticed this recently on my K3. Is it something I should actually be worried about, or is it just a cosmetic thing?
This issue has been discussed for some time and appears to be limited to the graphite for some unknown reason (but this may have changed). I did not even notice until I started reading about the problem and, even then, I had to look while in the sunlight, or direct natural light, before I noticed the small, 1/8" faint, hairline cracks. Months later, the cracks spread further out to about a half-inch. This has had no effect whatsoever on the integrity of the bezel/case or any of the functions. Best guess for the cause is a combination of the design and the composite of the graphite casing.

I am a fanatic when it comes to taking care of my electronics. My K3, now the "Kindle Keyboard 3G," has always been in the Amazon lighted case and, when traveling, I add another thick neoprene case to the mix. It's never been dropped or abused.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think it is just shiny gray plastic, not silver. A distinction without a difference, perhaps..
I hope it's not too "shiny", because I hate glare. If so, then I'll have to pass on getting one.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #12
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I hope it's not too "shiny", because I hate glare. If so, then I'll have to pass on getting one.
I seriously doubt it will be shiny -- none of the Kindles have been to date and I don't think Amazon would make that mistake now.

The video on the order page gives a pretty good view of the bezel.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peartree View Post
I didn't realize hairline cracks in the corners were a common issue.
I didn't either until someone brought it up earlier today. My KSO is fine.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #14
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I hear that they are darker gray than they appear in photos.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:31 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I hear that they are darker gray than they appear in photos.
I hope so. Will have to wait until I can actually see one in a store.