Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-05-2021, 06:46 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Kobo: Which Libra?

My trusty Aura HD is starting to show its age, so I put my GST money aside in hopes of upgrading. I wanted to go for Libra H2O - a bit pricier than I'd like but I wasn't overly fond of the cheaper options. Then Libra 2 was announced.

Here in Canada, it's $20 more - I'd be hoping to get it on sale anyways. But I'm really not sure if the extra cost is worth it. Considering:

- I don't use audiobooks. Seeing as I'm mildly hard of hearing, I'm not likely to start. So not useful for me.
- 2 has a 'Carta' screen. I figure this makes things a bit sharper?
- The 32 gigabytes of storage is nice, I admit.
- USB-C. This is actually the part I'm worried about— I can't easily get to my computer's USB-C ports and if the included cable won't plug into a USB-A (3.0) I'll need to spend even more money to get an adapter.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-06-2021 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Correcting the "higher PPI" mistake
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:59 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I doubt the screen difference is going to be significant. I may be wrong, of course. No telling until we see the Libra 2 in the flesh, so to speak.

So it basically comes down to 32GB vs 8GB storage and 215g vs 192g in weight. Which is more important for you?

You could also wait until the Libra 2 is released and reviews start to roll in. I'm sure there will be reviews here comparing both Libra models. You'd get a better picture that way.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2021, 07:21 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

You could also wait until the Libra 2 is released and reviews start to roll in. I'm sure there will be reviews here comparing both Libra models. You'd get a better picture that way.

This is excellent advice imo. I'm planning to put this into practice with regard to the Sage, to see if leaving my current Libra for it really would BE sage.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:29 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah that's a good idea. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:28 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This is excellent advice imo. I'm planning to put this into practice with regard to the Sage, to see if leaving my current Libra for it really would BE sage.
In my eyes the Sage is even more useful than Elipsa
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2021, 04:39 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I doubt the screen difference is going to be significant. I may be wrong, of course. No telling until we see the Libra 2 in the flesh, so to speak.

So it basically comes down to 32GB vs 8GB storage and 215g vs 192g in weight. Which is more important for you?

The screen difference between the Aura HD and the Libra 2 should be significant. The Aura HD is using a Pearl eInk screen. The Libra 2 is going to give a significant upgrade to the screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:55 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
In my eyes the Sage is even more useful than Elipsa
From memory, you were pretty dismissive of the Elipsa. So, the above sentence does not make sense. But, I can't decide if you meant to say:

Quote:
In my eyes the Sage is even less useful than Elipsa
Meaning you think the Elipsa is useless and the Sage even more.

Or if you think the Sage might be OK and meant:

Quote:
In my eyes the Sage is more useful than Elipsa
Or have you changed your mind and think the Elispa is a good device and is hence a useful device. If so, your posted statement could make sense.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:26 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The screen difference between the Aura HD and the Libra 2 should be significant. The Aura HD is using a Pearl eInk screen. The Libra 2 is going to give a significant upgrade to the screen.
I meant between the Libra 1 and 2.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:44 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
My trusty Aura HD is starting to show its age, so I put my GST money aside in hopes of upgrading. I wanted to go for Libra H2O - a bit pricier than I'd like but I wasn't overly fond of the cheaper options. Then Libra 2 came out.

Here in Canada, it's $20 more - I'd be hoping to get it on sale anyways. But I'm really not sure if the extra cost is worth it. Considering:

- I don't use audiobooks. Seeing as I'm mildly hard of hearing, I'm not likely to start. So not useful for me.
- 2 has a higher PPI 'Carta' screen. I figure this makes things a bit sharper?
- The 32 gigabytes of storage is nice, I admit.
- USB-C. This is actually the part I'm worried about— I can't easily get to my computer's USB-C ports and if the included cable won't plug into a USB-A (3.0) I'll need to spend even more money to get an adapter.

It sounds like you are comparing the 2 Libras? If so, they both have the same PPI.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:03 AM   #10
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From memory, you were pretty dismissive of the Elipsa. So, the above sentence does not make sense. But, I can't decide if you meant to say:

[...]

Or have you changed your mind and think the Elispa is a good device and is hence a useful device. If so, your posted statement could make sense.
I think it would help if he stops using google translate in favour of https://deepl.com
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #11
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
It sounds like you are comparing the 2 Libras? If so, they both have the same PPI.
I got the PPI difference from the compare page
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-10-06 11_51_53-Compare — Rakuten Kobo eReader Store - Vivaldi.png
Views:	287
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	189536  
Old 10-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #12
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I just got a Libra H20 last week, then the announcement came for the new models. I thought about returning the H20 and getting the Libra 2 but decided not to. Reasons:

-the Libra 2 is substantially heavier (193g vs 215g). That's significant. My old 1st gen Paperwhite is 213g. The Libra H20's decreased weight is definitely noticeable, and appreciated when I'm laying on the couch reading for an hour or two. I don't want go back to a heavier ereader.

-the Libra 2 is thicker. I like the slim form factor of the H20 and the asymmetrical one-handed thing.

- yes the new Carta 1200 screen is reputed to be more responsive with better contrast than the H20's Carta 1000 - but no one actually knows yet. It may not be a huge real world difference. It is the SAME dpi - no actual resolution improvement. My H20 has vastly superior contrast to my old Paperwhite, text pops off the screen by comparison, it's very pleasant to read, so it's not clear to me that a little more contrast will be meaningful. Page turns are blink-and-you'll-miss-it fast as it is, so I doubt increased responsiveness will be meaningful either. You could wait for reviews.

- Increased memory - may be important for those with a ton of books or books with lots of pictures - I don't care. I like to limit books onboard my ereader to no more than about 12 to 20. I tend to get decision paralysis if there are more options. Also, I'm a slow-ish reader, and usually have an audiobook or two in my reading mix (on my phone) as well. So the increased memory is irrelevant to me.

-USB-C - Yeah, it'd be nice. The H20 still rocks the outdated micro-USB connector. Not that big a deal to me. You only have to charge it every few weeks anyway.

-Audiobooks - to me that's actually a mild negative in the sense it adds clutter. I want my ereader to be the exclusive realm of printed books. No social media, no internet - and no audiobooks. I do like audiobooks, but on my phone. If my phone dies, I'll have bigger problems than not having a backup audiobook solution ready to go. So the audiobook feature is totally superfluous to me.

Plus, the hassle of returning my current H20, and it's $10 more too (in the U.S.). And, I'm already attached to my plucky Libra H20. I love it. I just figured out how to add more fonts and install the Nickel Menu with dark mode. I'm good with what I've got. Hope this little breakdown helps the OP or anyone on the fence make a decision. Cheers!
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:00 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I got the PPI difference from the compare page
Under specifications for the Libra 2, it says 300DPI. I strongly assume that they are both 300DPI (I assume Kobo isn't lieing ).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:02 AM   #14
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

The weight is another thing I've been thinking of too, considering my disabilities. The issue is I haven't really a frame of reference of how heavy it is.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #15
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Under specifications for the Libra 2, it says 300DPI. I strongly assume that they are both 300DPI (I assume Kobo isn't lieing ).
Ah - I misread and thought 1200 was the DPI. I need to check and see where the 1200 is coming from again.