Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
iBooks: Requested Resource Could Not Be Found

I've just completed a new ePub of a friend's role-playing game manual, and have finished doing testing on my Kobo and on Google Play Books. The ePub passes the built-in checks in Sigil and Calibre and ePubCheck passes it as well. As far as I can see, it has no problems.

However, iBooks refuses to open it. It tells me that "Failed to load book because the requested resource is missing." As far as I'm aware, the book shouldn't be requesting any resources or trying to access anything outside itself.

Is anybody familiar with this error?

Last edited by Rand Brittain; 10-25-2020 at 05:45 PM. Reason: give exact error message
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Did you upload an epub2 to Smashwords for Distribution (includes Apple) and actually download from Apple or try to copy the book directly?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
I've just completed a new ePub of a friend's role-playing game manual, and have finished doing testing on my Kobo and on Google Play Books. The ePub passes the built-in checks in Sigil and Calibre and ePubCheck passes it as well. As far as I can see, it has no problems.

However, iBooks refuses to open it. It tells me that "Failed to load book because the requested resource is missing." As far as I'm aware, the book shouldn't be requesting any resources or trying to access anything outside itself.

Is anybody familiar with this error?
Have you actually tried this eBook with Books instead of iBooks? IBooks can be very old to fairly old and Books is a newer version. But I would suggest trying Books with iOS 14 or iPadOS 14.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:18 AM   #4
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
look inside the META-INF folder for some calibre bookmark files and delete those
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can change the Calibre settings so it doesn't put stuff from the viewer into the ebook file.
Advert
Old 10-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #6
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Did you upload an epub2 to Smashwords for Distribution (includes Apple) and actually download from Apple or try to copy the book directly?
I copied it directly to my iPad. (It's an EPUB3.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you actually tried this eBook with Books instead of iBooks? IBooks can be very old to fairly old and Books is a newer version. But I would suggest trying Books with iOS 14 or iPadOS 14.
It's the newest version of Books, iPad OS 14.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
look inside the META-INF folder for some calibre bookmark files and delete those
I checked and there aren't any, because…

Quote:
You can change the Calibre settings so it doesn't put stuff from the viewer into the ebook file.
…I've had this setting on for years. Seriously, why doesn't Calibre store its bookmarks somewhere else by default?
Old 10-28-2020, 08:09 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
…I've had this setting on for years. Seriously, why doesn't Calibre store its bookmarks somewhere else by default?
I think because some people wanted the bookmarks to be transferred to the ereader? Though I suspect that only works for some.

Try epub2. If you need something epub3 does, that epub2 doesn't do, then perhaps you need a PDF or an app.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #8
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Hm, I don't really want to go back to EPUB2 because I'm using the <aside> tag to do footnotes.

At one point I thought it might be a cache error with my cloud, but it looks like other people are having the same problem with the file when I send it to testers? I'm really confused as to why Books is having an error with a file that passes every possible form of validation.

Does anybody want to take a look at it and see if they can spot the problem?
Old 11-13-2020, 08:16 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hm, I don't really want to go back to EPUB2 because I'm using the <aside> tag to do footnotes.

At one point I thought it might be a cache error with my cloud, but it looks like other people are having the same problem with the file when I send it to testers? I'm really confused as to why Books is having an error with a file that passes every possible form of validation.

Does anybody want to take a look at it and see if they can spot the problem?
But if you need your eBook to be backwards compatible, you'll need to stop using the <aside> tag.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Do you have the ibooks xml file in your epub3 file set? IIRC, com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml is the file name. I remember needing it when embedding fonts but have been told it is needed for other items as well.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #11
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if you need your eBook to be backwards compatible, you'll need to stop using the <aside> tag.
I'm gonna be honest; I'm going to need at least some reason to believe that the file being EPUB3 is responsible for the problem before I redo my hundred or so footnotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Do you have the ibooks xml file in your epub3 file set? IIRC, com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml is the file name. I remember needing it when embedding fonts but have been told it is needed for other items as well.
Yeah, it's copied over straight from all my other EPUB files that work perfectly normally on Books. I have to have it to make the embedded files work properly.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Don't do footnotes with <aside>Don't do footnotes with link to an anchor. Have 1:1 relationship, so if a footnote is referenced 3x then repeat it 3 times. Have an anchor where you put the footnote link and link the footnote back to it.
Works on EVERY epub2 platform and also on ALL Kindles if the same epub2 is uploaded to Amazon KDP. Might not look as pretty, but works.

For very short footnotes and paragraphs not too big, then right justify the note* inline just after the paragraph.

[*This is a short note, marginalia style]

It's a mistake to try to have unreliable features (pop-up footnotes) or too closely duplicate traditional paper layout.
I know technical and academic stuff can need them, but they are not just a pain to create, but also to read. Breaks the flow even if a pop-up.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Don't do footnotes with <aside>Don't do footnotes with link to an anchor. Have 1:1 relationship, so if a footnote is referenced 3x then repeat it 3 times. Have an anchor where you put the footnote link and link the footnote back to it.
Works on EVERY epub2 platform and also on ALL Kindles if the same epub2 is uploaded to Amazon KDP. Might not look as pretty, but works.

For very short footnotes and paragraphs not too big, then right justify the note* inline just after the paragraph.

[*This is a short note, marginalia style]

It's a mistake to try to have unreliable features (pop-up footnotes) or too closely duplicate traditional paper layout.
I know technical and academic stuff can need them, but they are not just a pain to create, but also to read. Breaks the flow even if a pop-up.
Very well said!
Old 11-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #14
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

I would really prefer if people gave me advice for the show-stopping problem I am actually having and not advising me on how to format footnotes, because the alternative is trying to get information from Apple on what's going wrong and I don't look forward to that.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I would really prefer if people gave me advice for the show-stopping problem I am actually having and not advising me on how to format footnotes, because the alternative is trying to get information from Apple on what's going wrong and I don't look forward to that.
The thing is, do you want your eBooks to work outside of iBooks/Books or do you want them to just work with iBooks/Books?

The advice given is very good advice. I don't get why you won't heed it?