Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #1
alexhk
alexhk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo Clara BW or Onyx Boox Go 6

Both are 6 inch Ereader. Which one is better? I don't need colour so any colour Ereader is not an option to me. Onyx Boox Go 6 is very new, not sure if running Android would be slower than Kobo Clara BW. Is both has similar resolution and sharpness?
alexhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM   #2
Mr Avid
Enthusiast
Mr Avid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Oasis 3, PocketBook Era
Neither is "better" in an absolute sense. It depends more on your needs.

They both have the same resolution and they both use the same panel.

The software is very different.

Boox can do more things because it is has Android and can run apps. You aren't locked into a specific ecosystem.

The kobo experience is more polished but you are more limited in what you can do.

We would really need some specifics of how you intend to use the device. Do you buy books on another device and then sideload them? Do you prefer to buy books directly from the device? Do you have an existing library? What are you reading? Novels, technical documents, pdfs, manga, comics, etc.

Everyone will have their own preference here but what is important to you specifically is all that really matters.

EDIT: From your other posts it seems like you already have experience with both Kobo and Boox. Which do you prefer?

Last edited by Mr Avid; Yesterday at 11:11 PM.
Mr Avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It depends what you want. Onyx makes Android devices. Android has much more functionality than Kobo, but if you only want a simple reader, Kobo devices work well for that.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:05 AM   #4
alexhk

I have an old Boox Nova from 2018 but is very slow now so it made me worry that Android Ereader maybe slow. Or the start up is slower. I never own Kobo but did try at the store. I wish Kobo make more new black and white e-reader but it seems now mostly are colour. But colour is not as sharp.
Old Today, 03:37 AM   #5
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Most of us agree with you. We're all hoping for the Libra BW to get announced...
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 06:32 AM   #6
Mr Avid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhk View Post
I have an old Boox Nova from 2018 but is very slow now so it made me worry that Android Ereader maybe slow. Or the start up is slower.
Android devices definitely take longer to boot. I had a Boox Page until recently and never found it slow it use. However, it took about 30 seconds to boot.
Old Today, 08:09 AM   #7
alexhk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Most of us agree with you. We're all hoping for the Libra BW to get announced...
I agree with you, I like 7 inch black and white eReader. 6 inch is ok but maybe small for me. Their new Kobo Sage is expensive and I don't need writing function. I just want to read book.
Old Today, 09:38 AM   #8
Mr Avid
Enthusiast

Quote:
I like 7 inch black and white eReader. 6 inch is ok but maybe small for me.
Almost everyone makes a ~7" B&W e-reader. Boox Page, Pocketbook ERA, Kindle PW, Meebook M7, Bigme B751.

There are plenty of options out there.

Last edited by Mr Avid; Today at 11:31 AM.
Old Today, 09:54 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Avid View Post
Almost everyone makes a ~7" B&W e-reader. Boox Page, Pocketbook ERA, Kindle PW, Kobo Sage, Meebook M7, Bigme B751.

There are plenty of options out there.
Kobo Sage is 8".
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:15 AM   #10
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I agree with you, I like 7 inch black and white eReader. 6 inch is ok but maybe small for me. Their new Kobo Sage is expensive and I don't need writing function. I just want to read book.
If you want a 7" inch reader I'd recommend the Page over the Go 6. The latter is slower and only has 2 GB of RAM, which can be annoying on an Android system.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:30 AM   #11
Mr Avid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kobo Sage is 8".
Oops. You are right.