Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-12-2016, 03:25 AM   #1
curiousreader1
curiousreader1 began at the beginning.

Device: Mac OS X
Can I read .acsm files?

Forgive me for my complete and utter obliviousness, but I have literally never read a single ebook in my life.

I downloaded an .acsm file on my PC. I downloaded calibre after some searching on the web. Now I can't seem to open the file. Am I doing something wrong? I prefer to support open source software, so I want to avoid proprietary solutions unless I absolutely have to.
curiousreader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:47 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousreader1 View Post
Forgive me for my complete and utter obliviousness, but I have literally never read a single ebook in my life.

I downloaded an .acsm file on my PC. I downloaded calibre after some searching on the web. Now I can't seem to open the file. Am I doing something wrong? I prefer to support open source software, so I want to avoid proprietary solutions unless I absolutely have to.
@curiousreader1 - apparently acsm files are virtual ebooks. I think this thread may help you understand them and how to deal with them ==>> "Virtual" books won't add to calibre library

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2016, 05:19 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousreader1 View Post

A .acsm file is, like BetterRed says, a kind of 'virtual book', more of a licence to download a book. Calibre will not deal with them, as you found out.

The only two Windows apps I know of that handle them (as in 'let you download the epub file the acsm file pertains to') are Adobe Digital Editions and Bluefire Reader

Both are free, but neither is open source.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You want to create an account at https://adobeid-na1.services.adobe.c...low_type=login and then go to http://www.adobe.com/support/digital...downloads.html to download and install Adobe Digital Edition 2.0.1.

Use the Adobe credentials you just created to authorize Adobe Digital Editions. The .acsm file will be used with Adobe Digital Editions to download the ePub eBook. You can then then read your eBook with Adobe Digital Edition on your computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote