Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2020, 09:07 PM   #1
yuchen
yuchen began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
How to sync from device back to calibre?

'Send to device' is pretty convenient, and I can also see "In Library" column from the Device view. I wonder if is there a quick way to sync book in device back to the corresponding book in calibre? After read, new annots are saved in pdf on device, I want to sync this new books back to calibre.

Now I find add to library(from the Device view) will create a new book. Even if "In Library" column value is true.

I found this Sync back to Calibre. Do we have a buit-in function now?

Last edited by yuchen; 11-06-2020 at 09:11 PM.
yuchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuchen View Post
Now I find add to library(from the Device view) will create a new book. Even if "In Library" column value is true.

I found this Sync back to Calibre. Do we have a buit-in function now?
Are you using Calibre Companion? Seeing as that is what the Sync back item is referring to.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2020, 12:23 AM   #3
yuchen

I used to use CC, now I just connect to a folder which is located in NAS. PDF ecpert can access this folder directly and keep in sync.

I thought CC was just a library manager, you have to copy books to other app to read, like goodreader, pdf expert. Thus the modified books with annots are not stored in CC. So I need PDF expert -> CC -> Calibre?
Old 11-07-2020, 12:47 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I used to use CC, now I just connect to a folder which is located in NAS. PDF ecpert can access this folder directly and keep in sync.
If you are storing the working copy of your calibre library on a NAS, well, good luck-you're going to need it. At some point you are likely to join the "but it worked for years" people who had the NAS/Cloud storage of their working calibre library turn around and bite them. Ghod knows there have been enough messages in the last while from people who have been using NAS/cloud storage to make it clear that keeping your working calibre library in anything but local storage is NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Quote:
I thought CC was just a library manager, you have to copy books to other app to read, like goodreader, pdf expert. Thus the modified books with annots are not stored in CC. So I need PDF expert -> CC -> Calibre?
The function you referred to was CC's ability to copy books back to the calibre library. So yes, you need CC to handle it.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:57 AM   #5
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Please read the official statement from the Calibre faq:

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2020, 01:30 AM   #6
yuchen

Thanks for your suggestions that "Do not put your calibre library on a networked drive". I shall clarify that my calibre library is on local drive, the folder located in NAS is just connected as a device, similar to kindle. I send current reading books to this nas folder, but the library folder which contains metadaba.db is not on NAS. I thought it's different from what you advise not to.

Back to copy books back to the calibre library, I don't know how things're going on Android, as for IOS, the book in CC is just the same as that import from calibre, and the modified book files are not stored in CC. So I'm confused how to copy the modified book (not in CC) to calibre using CC's ability.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:16 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions that "Do not put your calibre library on a networked drive". I shall clarify that my calibre library is on local drive, the folder located in NAS is just connected as a device, similar to kindle. I send current reading books to this nas folder, but the library folder which contains metadaba.db is not on NAS. I thought it's different from what you advise not to.
That method will be okay. It's having your live library on the NAS/cloud/etc. that will eventually have issues.

Quote:
Back to copy books back to the calibre library, I don't know how things're going on Android, as for IOS, the book in CC is just the same as that import from calibre, and the modified book files are not stored in CC. So I'm confused how to copy the modified book (not in CC) to calibre using CC's ability.
I don't use CC personally but from what I've read, it seems to be assumed that you are using CC to connect as a wireless device to calibre. From what @happylife wrote, his process has a lot of manual effort required.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The old Android (Multipie) CC was just another connected device when in Wireless device mode.
It behaved almost the same as a USB connection. You did most actions FROM Calibre.
I said 'most', because it did have a mode where it would update 'read' status.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote