Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
W.H. Smith and US purchases

I used to be able to purchase ebooks from W. H. Smith from the US by using the address of a relative in England as a billing address, but today, I was unable to get the website to accept my billing information- it told me it was unable to register my card at this time.

Have W. H. Smith updated their geographic restrictions since my last purchase?

Furthermore, could I purchase from their store by buying a Visa gift card and registering that to an address in England?
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I don't know how long ago this was, but they put additional geo-restrictions in place. Your best bet for continuing to purchase from WH Smith would be to use a UK issued Visa gift card, your UK relative's address, and use a VPN to make it appear that your PC is in the UK. Now that the UK has gone agency pricing, I'm not sure how much advantage there is to do this, except to be able to buy ebooks that are not available in the US, and probably won't be any time soon.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
I used to be able to purchase ebooks from W. H. Smith from the US by using the address of a relative in England as a billing address, but today, I was unable to get the website to accept my billing information- it told me it was unable to register my card at this time.

Have W. H. Smith updated their geographic restrictions since my last purchase?

Furthermore, could I purchase from their store by buying a Visa gift card and registering that to an address in England?
When UK publishers switched to the agency model both WH Smith and Waterstones were forced to stop shipping outside the UK.

The last time I bought books from WH Smith registering my account with an UK address and using that address as billing address for my Dutch credit card was enough to circumvent the geo-restrictions. I did not need a VPN and the billing addres was not verified at the credit card company.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How hard is it to get a UK-issued Visa gift card in the USA? What's the best place to look for one? Will an American-issued one not work if registered to a British address?
Old 05-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I use an EntroPay virtual credit card to buy from WHSmith. They charge 5% upfront, but don't provide or verify an address to retailers. It might help that they are a UK company. I don't use a VPN.

Getting the account setup from the US requires jumping through some hoops, EntroPay requires scan of your passport or drivers license (with the number blanked out), a credit card, and a bank account statement. Also, one of my US credit cards refused to transfer funds to EntroPay. Once the account was created, it has worked with no problems for more than a year and it worked again today to buy ebooks from WHSmith.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
How hard is it to get a UK-issued Visa gift card in the USA? What's the best place to look for one? Will an American-issued one not work if registered to a British address?
Like I said in my previous post, try this first: just use your regular US credit card, but use a valid UK address as account address and billing address on the WH Smith website. This worked the last time I bought books from WH Smith with my Dutch credit card. The billing address was not verified with the credit card company.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
The last time I did it I set up Account US with all my real info and bought myself a gift card.

Then I set up Account UK with a London address, used Hidemyass to give myself a UK IP, applied the gift card, and bought the book. That isn't something I'm going to mess with often to say the least.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

I used my own card with a British billing address. The site told me it couldn't register my card at this time (although a few 1.00 holds showed up on my debit account).

I guess I'll have to try something different, like this EntroPay thing.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
robbw
Connoisseur
robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, K3
Now I'm curious, what are the advantages of purchasing from W. H. Smith over U. S.-based vendors? Are the prices less expensive? Is the selection really different?
robbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
sometimes you can find a book there that isn't at US vendors due to geographic limitations. Prices may or may not be better but by the time you mess around with currency conversion and then whatever credit card fees you'll probably incur - it's not as likely.

It's rare that a US bases buyer would want to mess with it much, but it happens. Other regions (Europe, Asia, Australia etc) probably have a much greater need for it.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:32 PM   #11
robbw
Connoisseur
robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
Jewitch
Bukh libhober
Jewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch
I tried to buy some ebooks by a favorite author from Amazon.uk. The ebooks were available from US sources, but were cheaper from Amazon.uk (perhaps because the author was British?). I got spanked (but politely) for trying & told to go to Amazon.com. I've been looking at a couple of ebooks difficult to find in the US & was considering buying from Foyles. Do you think I'll run into the same problems you've encountered at W.H. Smith & Waterstones?
Jewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Geo-restrictions - Geographic Restrictions: Authors and publishers have contractual obligations which mean that books are handled by different sales outlets for different countries... far more strictly enforced for eBooks as opposed to paper...The easy to way to see if you can get something is the simple one, try it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewitch View Post
I tried to buy some ebooks by a favorite author from Amazon.uk. The ebooks were available from US sources, but were cheaper from Amazon.uk (perhaps because the author was British?). I got spanked (but politely) for trying & told to go to Amazon.com. I've been looking at a couple of ebooks difficult to find in the US & was considering buying from Foyles. Do you think I'll run into the same problems you've encountered at W.H. Smith & Waterstones?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewitch View Post
I've been looking at a couple of ebooks difficult to find in the US & was considering buying from Foyles. Do you think I'll run into the same problems you've encountered at W.H. Smith & Waterstones?
Your might, but it is worth trying the valid credit card with a "fake" UK address approach. The EntroPay approach worked last time I checked. Foyles does carry some ebooks that no one else has. One problem with Foyles is that they use a version of Adobe Digital Editions that is embedded in your web browser to deliver the ebooks. It is a bit fragile, and no one else does this.

Last edited by wallcraft; 05-13-2011 at 08:41 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #15
robbw
Connoisseur

You might try purchasing a store gift card with your current CC or debit card. Then use that gift card to purchase the ebook.