Old 07-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
amandajarrett
amandajarrett is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS 505
Help - firmware upgrade stuck

Unless it's supposed to take hours

Reader says 'updating firmware now'
Computer says 'do not disconnect. Waiting for PRS-505 for restart'

What do I do now? If I pull the plug, is everything going to go boom?

Any advice gratefully accepted.
amandajarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
harrynewman
harrynewman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Well, I can tell you that it's not supposed to take hours. Five minutes tops - and i'm pretty sure that it doesn't even take that long.

God knows what will happen if you unplug it. My guess is that you have nothing to loose at this point. Hopefully someone will pop in and offer you some advice.
harrynewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
amandajarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrynewman View Post
God knows what will happen if you unplug it. My guess is that you have nothing to loose at this point. Hopefully someone will pop in and offer you some advice.
Well, I had no option in the end because the computer locked.

So now the reader says "Firmware upgrade did not complete successfully. Please try again". But I can't try again because the computer now reads the Reader as a 'protected' file rather than a reader, so I can't redownload the firmware.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Attach the cable and start the updater again. It should detect that the Reader is already in update mode and retry the update.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
amandajarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Attach the cable and start the updater again. It should detect that the Reader is already in update mode and retry the update.
Oddly enough, though I tried this numerous times without success (to the point of ringing my OH and telling him I needed a new Reader because this one was obviously knackered) when I downloaded the update file onto a different computer and plugged in the reader, the download identified that my reader had NO firmware and consequently loaded the upgrade without a problem.

I don't know why it got stuck in a loop with the original PC, but I thought I'd post about how a 2nd computer corrected the error in case anybody else suffers the same problem.

Obviously, my OH is pretty chuffed he's not going to have to fork out on a new reader
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandajarrett View Post
Oddly enough, though I tried this numerous times without success (to the point of ringing my OH and telling him I needed a new Reader because this one was obviously knackered) when I downloaded the update file onto a different computer and plugged in the reader, the download identified that my reader had NO firmware and consequently loaded the upgrade without a problem.

I don't know why it got stuck in a loop with the original PC, but I thought I'd post about how a 2nd computer corrected the error in case anybody else suffers the same problem.

Obviously, my OH is pretty chuffed he's not going to have to fork out on a new reader
Wow! You were pretty lucky. My upgrade ended with a Reader that didn't work.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote