Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old Today, 06:44 AM   #1
Martin Pumo
Martin Pumo began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
icon for macOS

I don't know if this is the appropriate place on the forum.
Starting with macOS Big Sur (macOS 11), icons have a square appearance to make the interface uniform and consistent.
I have created an icon that complies with the macOS aesthetic rules that I attach. The result is good at the desktop level, although it looks strange in the caliber initialization window as it is superimposed on a brown square, as I show in the screenshot. Any solution?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	library.png
Views:	11
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	211073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2024-09-28 a las 12.35.17.png
Views:	14
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	211074  
Attached Files
File Type: zip calibre.icns.zip (294.7 KB, 4 views)
Martin Pumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:10 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Make the icon background a cream color like the background of the banner and it will match.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #3
Martin Pumo
Martin Pumo began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
The macOS style rule starting with Big Sur says that the icon must be square and generally when a previous transparent design is adapted, the frame is usually white. This is the case of the new icons for Safari, Photos, etc.
When applying this rule to the Calibre icon, the Calibre initialization window looks strange (as I showed in the screenshot) because this window is designed for a transparent icon. If the icon has a white frame, that frame is wrapped in another larger brown frame.
The intermediate solution I have found is not to add the white background box to the icon, but at least reduce the size of the image so that it is more similar to the one in macOS. All macOS icons are 1024x1024, but they have a transparent border and the drawing area is smaller (usually 860x860).
The current Calibre icon is 1024x1024 but the drawing area is 920x920, which is why it looks larger than the rest of the macOS icons. I've reduced the image to 860x860 but kept the full size of 1024x1024 when the transparent frame is added.
I'm attaching the Calibre icon I made (calibre.icns) and the image for the resources folder (library.png) in case it's useful to anyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	library.png
Views:	0
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	211084  
Attached Files
File Type: zip calibre.icns.zip (706.3 KB, 1 views)
Martin Pumo is offline   Reply With Quote