Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Today, 02:24 PM   #1
glazedbelmont
glazedbelmont began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX Go Color 7
Exclamation Calibre "forgetting" what books were sideloaded

Hello,

I've been using Calibre to organize my "fairly big" book and manga library but recently, it's been seemingly corrupting the metadata on my BOOX Go Color 7 which causes it to check for every book in the folder then report that 90% of them aren't On Device, see image:

This has happened countless times and I have to re-send to the device, is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong, I always eject the device and don't unplug it while it's writing, Calibre seems to see it on the "Card A" view though, see image:

I have tried deleting the driveinfo and metadata files, restarting the device and the computer but it's happened again, this has been going on over the course of a few days.
glazedbelmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:54 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you match a book on the device manually to a book in the calibre library, does it stay matched? I'm wondering if the multiple titles being the same are causing the issue. I haven't noted that issue on a Kobo but then I would use Attack on Titan Vol. 06 as the book title and then repeat the title as the series name and the volume number as the series index.

There might also be an issue with how the actual file name on your Boox is being created. Do you have a save template set in the Boox driver?

Bounce a query off my daughter and she has read some of the series and uses Hajime Isayama as the author.

Edit: added image from one book series I have with the identical titles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-08-27 123159.png
Views:	9
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	210430  

Last edited by DNSB; Today at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added image of one series of books
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 03:36 PM   #3
glazedbelmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you match a book on the device manually to a book in the calibre library, does it stay matched? I'm wondering if the multiple titles being the same are causing the issue. I haven't noted that issue on a Kobo but then I would use Attack on Titan Vol. 06 as the book title and then repeat the title as the series name and the volume number as the series index.

There might also be an issue with how the actual file name on your Boox is being created. Do you have a save template set in the Boox driver?

Bounce a query off my daughter and she has read some of the series and uses Hajime Isayama as the author.

Edit: added image from one book series I have with the identical titles.
I do have a template in python to export, I think I can see the issue now.

Here is the template for info sake:

Calibre is trying to grab the author from the filename but since my stuff is named:
Series - Vol. Series_Index "- Title" (this part is optional), it's importing it incorrectly when it has to rebuild the database.

Is there a way for Calibre to not do that or am I just SOL due to how I'm naming my exported files? I'm guessing the easiest way would be to change my template but I would love to keep how I'm naming my files so it's simpler to organize.
Old Today, 07:00 PM   #4
glazedbelmont

Alright so I did a few tests, named the book "Akira - Vol.01" and transferred to the device, I then deleted the metadata file and forced Calibre to re-create it.

It matched with the wrong book, despite the name

I am genuinely puzzled at what is going wrong and past a point, frustrated that it keeps nullifying its own database; breaking everything in the process.

Also I did do tests on my end, if I match it, it stays correctly but I can only match a single book at a time, this isn't feasible for my library that has hundreds of comics.
Old Today, 07:04 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suspect that calibre is using the title to match. So you would have to have the titles as "Akira - Vol.01", & "Akira - Vol.02", etc. where you are showing Akira as the single word title in your calibre library.

Much like in my sample image where I add Vol 01, Vol 02, etc. to the titles to make them unique.
Advert
Old Today, 07:08 PM   #6
glazedbelmont

Quote:
I suspect that calibre is using the title to match. So you would have to have the titles as "Akira - Vol.01", & "Akira - Vol.02", etc. where you are showing Akira as the single word title in your calibre library.

Much like in my sample image where I add Vol 01, Vol 02, etc. to the titles to make them unique.
Tried to see and sadly, same result.

Last edited by glazedbelmont; Today at 07:08 PM. Reason: messed up the image
Old Today, 07:14 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist

To attach images, go to Advanced mode and use either the paperclip icon or the Manage Attachments button. It will keep the admins happier if you do not have overly large images inline.

The title in the calibre library must match the title in the book metadata. You may want to look at the Embed Comic Metadata plugin. In your sample, the title in calibre is Akira while if the title is being read from the filename, it could be Akira Vol (not sure if it will read after the first . in the file name.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	210437  

Last edited by DNSB; Today at 07:18 PM.
Old Today, 07:21 PM   #8
glazedbelmont

Quote:
To attach images, go to Advanced mode and use either the paperclip icon or the Manage Attachments button. It will keep the admins happier if you do not have overly large images inline.
Noted, I did try again and for some reason, now it's not even matching anymore. I embedded the metadata into it with the feather icon.

Tags
calibre