Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM   #1
Inquisitive_Ram
Enthusiast
Inquisitive_Ram began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quality of azw to epub conversion

Out of interest, when people convert from azw to epub and then view on a kobo, is the quality of the resultant ebook as good in terms of formatting as the azw is on the Kindle?
Inquisitive_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive_Ram View Post
Out of interest, when people convert from azw to epub and then view on a kobo, is the quality of the resultant ebook as good in terms of formatting as the azw is on the Kindle?
Depends on what you mean by "quality" - different folks mean different things by it.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I do it all the time for AZW3 (DRM gone)
AZW can include other format types internally that might not fare as well.

One thing I found is KEPUB has issues with letter-spacing: <value>.
Spaces go away VISUALLY on the Aura2 and Libra2. I have a saved search to comment-out those lines in a CSS
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #4
Inquisitive_Ram
Enthusiast

What do you mean "they go away Visually"?

Do you mean the spacinglookslikethis with no spaces?

And you have to manually change the epub after conversion to correct it?
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Nope. That's word spacing. Theducks meant l e t t e r s p a c i n g, which is sometimes used in books for a variety of reasons, most of them unnecessary.
Advert
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you mean azw3/KF8, I would suggest trying the KindleUnpack plugin instead of calibre's built in coversion to extract an ePub from an azw3 since the structure and CSS will be much closer to the azw3's structure (and much like the structure of the ePub used as input to Kindle Publishing). If you mean azw (mobi with DRM), then calibre' conversion is pretty much the only game in town.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Sirtel showed what it should be, but you show what Kobo KEPUB does

ChapterThree instead of Chapter Three
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Nope. That's word spacing. Theducks meant l e t t e r s p a c i n g, which is sometimes used in books for a variety of reasons, most of them unnecessary.
Stupid Vellum frequently has this in their CSS.
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sirtel showed what it should be, but you show what Kobo KEPUB does

ChapterThree instead of Chapter Three
What? I've never seen this.
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
What? I've never seen this.
Do you send KEPUB or EPUB to your Kobo? EPUB is fine, but I like some of the other features, so I use KEPUB (after fixing the CSS)
Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One of the reasons I only use kepub for those few ebooks where I want to be able to zoom images or need a FLO ePub3 renderer is that the ePub renderer simply lacks quite a few of the display oddities that the webkit based renderer has.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Do you send KEPUB or EPUB to your Kobo? EPUB is fine, but I like some of the other features, so I use KEPUB (after fixing the CSS)
Kepub on the Sage, epub on the Libra.

I actually checked a few kepubs on my Sage just now. Yes, chapter headings sometimes have no visible word spacing, but I couldn't see such an issue with body text. As I don't pay that much attention to headings (besides removing huge spaces above or under them), I've just never noticed it before. And I'm not going to bother with fixing it; let those headings run together, I don't much care. Now if I should ever see this issue with body text, it will be another matter.

Last edited by Sirtel; Today at 12:01 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One of the reasons I only use kepub for those few ebooks where I want to be able to zoom images or need a FLO ePub3 renderer is that the ePub renderer simply lacks quite a few of the display oddities that the webkit based renderer has.
The biggest gripe I have with epubs is that if they happen to be loooong books (as in multi-volume omnibuses), searching for a word or a phrase in them can be extremely slow. Kepubs don't have this problem.
Old Today, 02:57 AM   #14
Inquisitive_Ram
Enthusiast

So if you send as an epub to Kobo do you not use the Kobo plugins or do you use them but set them up not to convert to kepub?
Old Today, 08:26 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Kepub on the Sage, epub on the Libra.

I've just never noticed it before. And I'm not going to bother with fixing it; let those headings run together, I don't much care. Now if I should ever see this issue with body text, it will be another matter.
I never saw that used for other than Headings (tighten them a bit closer).

I tried them to space out *** breaks, but (old) My Astak (RMSDK) really did not like that (Calibre was fine)