Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Today, 12:40 PM   #1
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Modern replacement for Kindle Oasis?

Hello folks.

My beloved Kindle Oasis is on the last legs, so I'm looking for a direct replacement:

- Page turn buttons, ambidextrous reader body.
- 6-8" display, 300 PPI.
- B/W. I only use Kindle for books, so I don't want to sacrifice PPI for color.
- Reasonable battery life.
- Reasonably light, preferably under 240g
- Backlight

However it's been a while since 2016, so I'd expect some improvements:

- Much snappier interface, both due to better eInk drivers, and due to faster CPUs
- USB-C connector

Any suggestions?
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:42 PM   #2
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

I saw https://comparisontabl.es/e-readers/ — it helps to narrow down search a lot, however there is no "snappy interface" filter there, alas.
Advert
Old Today, 12:51 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Kobo Sage.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:07 PM   #4
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kobo Sage.
I see you've got both Sage and Libra 2. Any significant differences between them in terms of interface snappiness? What about page-turn buttons, are they good on both?
Old Today, 01:20 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
I see you've got both Sage and Libra 2. Any significant differences between them in terms of interface snappiness? What about page-turn buttons, are they good on both?
The Sage is snappier than the Libra (the latter is not all that snappy), but the Libra has better battery life. The buttons on both of them are not as good as on the Oasis models (all 3 of those), but IMO usable.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 01:48 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I have Libra, Libra2 and Sage.
The buttons are only 100% reliable on the original Libra.

The Sage has the poorest run time per charge of all my modern readers, but enough, I can read 3 full novels. Also has the fastest charge time on a compatible charger of 45 to 50 minutes from nearly exhausted to nearly full. Occasionally I have to swipe if I stare too long at a page, then buttons are OK again.

I had an Oasis 2. I rate all three Kobo models better, except the buttons on the Sage. The charge run time on the Oasis was poorer than the Sage, but it wasn't new. Still Ok. A friend has it now.
I still have a PW3, K3 and DXG.

The Sage is faster.

I also have an Elipsa, bought a few weeks before the Sage. It's pointless, but better than a reMarkable.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote