Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
dtp
dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW1
Kobo Forma. Does its screen update after dictionary use?

I own Kindle Paperwhite 1. It's set to update screen on every page turn, but when I use dictionary, only part of the screen that was covered by dictionary popup gets updated and remaining text is slightly faded.

I read in tiny and thin font, and it bugs me a lot.
Does Kobo Forma have the same problem?
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Kobo firmware doesn't do a refresh immediately after dictionary lookup. It will do one on the next page turn.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2019, 09:14 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I don't know whether this might also be relevant ... if you're ever not happy with ghosting on a book page on any Kobo, a quick double-tap in the middle will force an immediate full page refresh.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:13 PM   #4
dtp
dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW1
How bad is ghosting in Forma in comparison to PW1?
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp View Post
How bad is ghosting in Forma in comparison to PW1?
I have never used any sort of Kindle, so I can't really compare. But, when I was using a Forma (my wife has it now), I had it set to "Chapter" refresh with no concerns for long chapters. The same goes for the other newer Kobo devices. I have done some testing with a longish chapter, but just paged backwards and forwards through it a few times. I got bored before I got to the point the ghosting was really worrying me.

That's with ordinary text. If there are images or larger blocks of dark text, the ghosting from them can be worse. I don't see this much due to the types of books I am reading. But, to clear it, tap the centre of the screen once to display the menu and again to close them and the device does a full refresh. Effectively a double tap, but the menus will display briefly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There's really no comparison. The PW1 was, err, not great, to put it mildly.

Barring lab126 niceties (the most user-visible one being proper nightmode handling), Mk. 7 devices (meaning the Clara/Forma, mainly), as far as how the screen is handled, have finally noticeably caught up with Amazon, and no longer feel like you're holding a previous generation Kindle, but worst.

In your specific dictionary use-case, you're more likely to be bothered by the fact that the English dictionary is just not that great compared to the Kindle's than by how the UI is handling it . (Fortunately, provided you're in WiFi range, there's a Google/Wikipedia lookup right next to the dictionary. I'd still much prefer a decent built-in dictionary, but, still ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-06-2019 at 09:11 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote