Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #1
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Dying Clara 2E - worth it to repair?

My Clara 2E is dying, very much exactly what happened to my old Clara HD - failing to recognize when a cable is plugged in to charge. The cables work just fine on other equipment, like my Pixel 7 Pro. They will work occasionally but it takes a bunch of tries to connect and/or charge.

I've learned my lesson and backed up everything on the reader to a folder on my PC.

Amazon says my new Clara BW will be here tomorrow.

My question is really about repairability.

If possible, I'd like to have them repaired (the 2E and the HD) and then donate them to some kid in my neighborhood. I could probably fix them myself (I was a senior field tech support for an elevator electronics manufacturer) but I'm far too lazy and old to mess with that stuff.

Does anyone have good experiences with having their Kobo's repaired? Is it worth it?

I have a feeling that it's something that I keep doing to the USB ports, and maybe just refreshing the solder joints will work...but. I remember the same thing happening to my Kobo Aura HD.

Other than the USB issue, they seem to work great, I'm just not willing to take a chance.
LordP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM   #2
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
I just bought a Clara HD for a friend's daughter, and she loves it, even with the obsolete micro-USB cable. So yes, a Clara 2E would be that much better.

It's odd that yours dying already--I would've thought the USB-C port would last much longer given the reversible plug should put less fatigue on it.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM   #3
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah. I thought the same thing.

It's odd but I've never had such problems with phones or tablets, and now I have wireless charging, so...

Did you mean that you bought a refurbished Clara HD? From a repair shop?
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP View Post
Did you mean that you bought a refurbished Clara HD? From a repair shop?
Kobo has refurbished ereaders on sale though which devices tends to vary. You can check the Kobo website, go to Ereaders & Apps and then click on the certified refurbished link (the link is to the Canadian store). The US store is at https://us.kobobooks.com/collections...ished-ereaders.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:33 AM   #5
LordP
Zealot

Thanks, guys, but I'm trying to find out if it's worthwhile to refurbish my two "bad" Kobos. And if there is somewhere I can send them to be repaired.

EDIT: I changed my mind. I'm not going to give away a reader with the potential to break down and make someone sad.

I'll toss them into some recycling program.

Last edited by LordP; Today at 06:27 AM.
Advert