Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 09-28-2005, 09:37 AM   #1
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Grūvi™ New DRM

SanDisk took a step it hopes will transform both the mobile media and music industries by unveiling their new grūvi™ storage technology.

At a news conference at the CTIA Wireless I.T. & Entertainment show in San Francisco on Tuesday, SanDisk, EMI Group and Virgin Records America announced that a version of the Rolling Stones' album "A Bigger Bang" will be released on a new TransFlash microSD or miniSD card set to go on sale in select retail stores in November for US$39.99. It will include band images and links to other Rolling Stones goods and music that the consumer could opt to buy.

SanDisk also showed off the 4Gb embedded flash memory component with TrustedFlash technology, which will be integrated into mobile phones, music players, PDAs, personal media players and GPS devices. It takes up less than 4 percent of the space that a microdrive would take up. TrustedFlash integrates digital rights management (DRM) into a flash memory card. It will be rolled out in the fourth quarter of this year, but is available now to original equipment manufacturers in miniSD, microSD and SD card formats, according to SanDisk.

Consumers will be able to move content on TrustedFlash cards from one mobile device to another because the DRM is built in to the card. Depending on the DRM settings defined by the content provider, consumers also will be able to copy the content to a PC hard drive or other storage as backup a certain number of times, the company said.

More here.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:31 PM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Wonderful, that's exactly what we were looking for... more DRM!

Did we need any more reasons NOT to like the entertainment industry?
Advert
Old 09-28-2005, 01:06 PM   #3
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
I support their right to hang onto their IP and avoid a frivolous witch-hunt-esque litagation scheme like the recording and motion picture industries.

What I do object to is the price tag they're slapping on this. The Stones cd is $15 while the opportunity to listen to it on your cellphone is $40? That doesn't make much sense. Why would I even want to listen or watch it on my phone.

There's something inherently cool about this technology, but not at that price tag.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:25 AM   #4
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Sunshine, notice however that it says...

"Depending on the DRM settings defined by the content provider, consumers also will be able to copy the content to a PC hard drive or other storage as backup a certain number of times, the company said."

I don't consider it their right to decide where to and how many times I can make personal copies of my purchased music. ;(
Old 09-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #5
StuBear
StuBear began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus SL-C1000
DRM is bad!

There is no good DRM, it's all about taking away your rights. They won't do it straight away, they'll do it slowly. Hoping that the masses won't notice - like a frog slowwly being boiled to deaf on a stove.

For a very well reasoned and extremly lucid explanation as to the horros of DRM, I point you to Cory Doctorow's talks on DRM to Microsoft and HP

Stu
Advert