Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Today, 04:14 PM   #1
cmartin
cmartin began at the beginning.

Device: Koba Clara HD
using user categories

I have 2 e-readers, (I call them readerA and readerB). Each reader has only a subset of my library, a different subset on each reader. I want to quickly see which books are on which readers when viewing my library in Calibre.

So I created a user category 'readerA' and was able to apply this category to the books that are on readerA. However it does not seem possible to apply it to individual books, only to all books by author. For instance, in the user category pane, I can choose "John Updike", and if there are 3 books by Updike the user category ReaderA is applied to all 3 books. But in fact, only one Updike book is on readerA.

How do I remove a user category from a single book? Conversely, is there a way to apply a user categories to a single book (rather than a group of books defined by an author or some other tag)? I have right-clicked and explored many menus, but I cannot find a way to remove a user category from a specific book. I also tried editing metadata but user categories do not appear on the metadata edit screen.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the concept of user categories? Is there a better way to do what I need (mark books with a user-created tag/category that I can use to filter the library?

Thanks for any help
cmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:36 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin View Post
I have 2 e-readers, (I call them readerA and readerB). Each reader has only a subset of my library, a different subset on each reader. I want to quickly see which books are on which readers when viewing my library in Calibre.

So I created a user category 'readerA' and was able to apply this category to the books that are on readerA. However it does not seem possible to apply it to individual books, only to all books by author. For instance, in the user category pane, I can choose "John Updike", and if there are 3 books by Updike the user category ReaderA is applied to all 3 books. But in fact, only one Updike book is on readerA.

How do I remove a user category from a single book? Conversely, is there a way to apply a user categories to a single book (rather than a group of books defined by an author or some other tag)? I have right-clicked and explored many menus, but I cannot find a way to remove a user category from a specific book. I also tried editing metadata but user categories do not appear on the metadata edit screen.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the concept of user categories? Is there a better way to do what I need (mark books with a user-created tag/category that I can use to filter the library?

Thanks for any help
User Categories are derived from lists of other categories (Authors, Tags etc), so UC Ancient Greeks might contain Aristophanes, Homer… Sappho etc. See ==>> User Categories - Tag browser

I would create a Custom column (Text, but with a fixed set of permitted values) called Stored On, which could have the values Device A, Device B and None.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 07:21 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Maybe also use Reading List plugin to automate the creation of the collections. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134856
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tags, user categories