Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Converting from PRC/Mobi or LRF to EPUB: Which is Easier/More Straightforward?

As per title really.

There are a few uploads in the eBook section here that I'd like to load into my Sony Reader. Granted, LRF will work on my device - but I hear it is slower, and is obviously being phased out in favour of EPUB.

Am I less likely to run into problems converting from PRC to EPUB than LRF, using Calibre?

I'd prefer to keep my collection EPUB only, with a few technical PDF documents.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
From the Mobileread library Mobi or PRC to ePub are usually a better conversion than LRF to ePub.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
LRF conversion to ePub generally has a variety of issues, though all very minor. Softbreaks aren't preserved unless you enable heuristics and the format scene breaks option. It also puts every single paragraph in a <div> tag, which is a bit weird when you're using to managing paragraphs in <p> tags, but it does work. TOC creation from LRF can be hit or miss too.

Generally PRC (same as mobi) will probably work out better for you for a typical ebook. There may be strengths to LRF in specific cases, but I'm not sure what those would be.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try both and see which comes out better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote