Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
drmaniac
drmaniac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Unhappy 3 Months old PRS-505 wont turn on?

Hi,

I buyed my 505 3 months ago and its a lot of fun to use him.

I left him now 2 weeks without using him.

And now i cant turn him on?

The screen is just emty and i used the "power on" slide button.

No result. Still empty screen.

I plugged the usb cable to him, to load his batterie, but no action.

Then i tried to press the reset button in the hole on the backside. Wihtout success.

So..is there a trick how i get the device back alive?

I upgraded for 8 weeks to the newest firmware. After that I had no problems.

help please

Last edited by drmaniac; 10-10-2008 at 08:57 AM.
drmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I think the problem is is that the battery is dead. When you use the power switch to "turn off" the 505, you don't actually turn it off. What you do is put it in sleep mode. Sleep mode still uses battery. In the advanced options is where you go to find the menu to actually turn off the power for those times when you will not be using the 505 for at least a few days.

If it really is the battery, I don't think the USB port will work to charge it as you need some amount of power. What you can do is go out and get a PSP AC adapter that has the barrel type plug to charge the 505. You can turn on and use the 505 while it is charging via the AC adapter. You cannot use the 505 while it's charging via the USB. You can get a PSP AC adapter at most computer game shops.

Here is a PSP AC Adapter from Gamestop just to show you what it looks like.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=37474
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
USB charging from "dead" should work on a 505 but Jon's right - a PSP charger is a better idea.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

I charged my 505 from a dead brick with a USB cable. It took several hours for the red LED light to come on and even a little longer for the screen to go to the USB screen.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
drmaniac
drmaniac began at the beginning.

Thumbs up

solved!

Oh, wow. After a few hours on the usb the reader booted up

back to the living ones

Otherwise I had an Problem due I import this thing from USA to germany and the shipping is not so cheap

So, thanks for all the replays and keep on reading

drmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still I recommend getting a PSP AC adapter.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedavis1 View Post
I charged my 505 from a dead brick with a USB cable. It took several hours for the red LED light to come on and even a little longer for the screen to go to the USB screen.
I thought that if you plugged it in and the led did not light up, that it would not charge. I guess I was mistaken. But still, if it's fully out of power, I'll use the AC adapter.Takes a lot less time to charge plus I can use it while it's charging if I want.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I thought that if you plugged it in and the led did not light up, that it would not charge.
Probably not enough juice to light the light? That was a big change from 500 to 505... 500 would not charge with USB if the battery was flat. Then again, it also came with a charger. The 505 does charge from USB from a flat battery.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

I think it takes a couple of things for it to charge from the USB port when it is completely flat-lined: 1) It needs to be on a machine that the USB drivers for it have already been installed. 2) It takes a VERY long time to charge.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:03 AM   #10
mitchelln
Enthusiast
mitchelln began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Probably not enough juice to light the light?

BOb
I suspect the light is controlled by control line on the CPU and the CPU won't start until the battery has sufficient juice. Everything is software based these days!
mitchelln is offline   Reply With Quote