Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-25-2023, 12:37 PM   #1
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Possible to get Norwegian keyboard mapping? Onyx Ultra Tab

I've just bought an Onyx Boox Ultra tab, with a keyboard. The layout is in English, and that's fine, but sometimes I'd like to switch to Norwegian keyboard mapping, so I can more easily write Norwegian texts. Is there a way to do this?
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 12:53 PM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Look up Extra Keyboard Layout for Android
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2023, 01:00 PM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Yes.

Under (Android stock) Settings > System > Languages & Input > Physical keyboard > Norwegian.
Sorry, I don't know if the Onyx settings has that. It must.

The way above gives you the option to select multiple languages and switch them with a key combo (control space?).

You can also do the old-fashioned way with custom keylayout and keychars.
If you're rooted you can save them in data/system/devices/keylayout and keychars.
With Magisk you can overlay in /system/usr/keylayout and keychars.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 01:25 PM   #4
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Look up Extra Keyboard Layout for Android
Is this something that usually works, or legit works with the ultra tab? I tried downloading the said app, but it doesn't show up as a new keyboard:
https://ibb.co/PhxGrs8
I also tried looking around the old default onyx boox physical keyboard setting, but couldn't see new languages added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Under (Android stock) Settings > System > Languages & Input > Physical keyboard > Norwegian.

The way above gives you the option to select multiple languages and switch them with a key combo (control space?).
It must, I agree. But alas, it doesn't. I haven't found a setting where you can switch the mapping to whatever other language than English.
Old 02-25-2023, 02:55 PM   #5
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
You should be able to do it by installing another launcher like Nova launcher or some other app that lets you access the system settings. You can then go back to the stock launcher. I just tried this on my Nova 2. Granted it has Android 9.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2023, 05:08 PM   #6
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
If you have ADB working, just:
Code:
adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 06:47 PM   #7
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Extra layouts is not an app or keyboard. It just installs layouts, which you need to select in the Android settings (explained above)

Last edited by mergen3107; 12-19-2023 at 04:54 PM.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 03:07 PM   #8
norweger
Addict

Hooray. I managed to switch to Norwegian.

Here's a newbie guide on how I did it:

Installed Nova Laucher.
Went to the lauchers home page.
Clicked bottom right in Nova to view all apps.
Clicked on Settings (not "Nova Settings")
Clicked on System
Clicked on Languages & input
Clicked on Physical keyboard
Clicked on onyx-keyboard then "set up keyboard layouts"
Choose Norwegian and ALSO "English (US), Android keyboard" (which I think the keyboard is mapped to originally). You have to select TWO keyboards in order to be able to switch.
Then you can switch using CTRL + Space

Uninstalled Nova.
Thus far CTRL + spacebar works!

Big thanks, everyone! This made the Ultra Tab way better!
Old 02-26-2023, 08:03 PM   #9
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Yes.

You can also do the old-fashioned way with custom keylayout and keychars.
If you're rooted you can save them in data/system/devices/keylayout and keychars.
With Magisk you can overlay in /system/usr/keylayout and keychars.

Currently, there is a bug in the firmware. You have to wait for the update or use an external tool.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote