Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #1
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Worst (& Best) Movie Adaptations

What has been your least favorite film based on a book? (Which inevitably will lead to people stating what their favorite ones were as well )

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
This is tough, because I almost always dislike the movie over the book.

My first thought, though, was "Mystic River". It was such a rich novel, and the movie reduced it to dark, dreary filming and revenge.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 12:15 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Best? There are two (both based on Ken Kesey books), Sometimes a Great Notion and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Yes, the books were richer; but, the films were great, true to the spirit of the books, and followed the books. I did read both books prior to seeing the films.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:05 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Neverending Story (and II). Shame really, as, thinking about it now (I haven't thought about it for a while), it was one of my favourite books.

Best would probably be Bliss (based on Peter Carey's book) or Angel Heart (based on William Hjortsberg Falling Angel).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Worst is also the Worst Movie Of All Time Period: High Crusade, based on a book by Fredrick Pohl. And by based on I mean, it has the same title and people wearing armor appear in both. The rest of the movie is excrutiatingly horrible. I transcends the "it's so bad that it is cool, let's make it a cult classic." You will want to gouge out your eyes for putting such nastiness into your brain. You will want to hunt downt he director and all of his family and torture them slowly. You will want to enroll at MIT and research time machines so you can go back in time and hunt down his ancestors and torture them slowly.

Best would have to be the LOTR Director's Cuts.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Worst is also the Worst Movie Of All Time Period: High Crusade, based on a book by Fredrick Pohl. And by based on I mean, it has the same title and people wearing armor appear in both. The rest of the movie is excrutiatingly horrible. I transcends the "it's so bad that it is cool, let's make it a cult classic." You will want to gouge out your eyes for putting such nastiness into your brain. You will want to hunt downt he director and all of his family and torture them slowly. You will want to enroll at MIT and research time machines so you can go back in time and hunt down his ancestors and torture them slowly.
"Don't mince words, Bones. Tell me what you really think."
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
My nomination for worst film adaptation would be 'Day of the Triffids'.

Best could be 'Moby Dick', '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea', or any other film based on a novel that contains page after page after page of turgid nonsense on whales or underwater life in general.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
My nomination for worst film adaptation would be 'Day of the Triffids'.

Best could be 'Moby Dick', '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea', or any other film based on a novel that contains page after page after page of turgid nonsense on whales or underwater life in general.
Ooh! that was a stinker, too. Another film that shares the title and the presence of humans in both stories and not much else.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I'll throw in among the best - Captain Newman, MD. Movie follows the book quite well, and both are excellent. I'll also throw in the Bogart Maltese Falcon.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Best - LOTR, I was blown away at how well Peter Jackson adapted the trilogy to the big screen.

Worst - Just about everything else.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Peter Jackson's version of LOTR took great liberties with the book - in some ways he improved the story....

A bad one would be the adaptation of "Earthsea" ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #12
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Best - LOTR, I was blown away at how well Peter Jackson adapted the trilogy to the big screen.
Yes, I agree! Would´ve never guessed it was possible that I felt the films were even better than the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Worst - Just about everything else.
I could think of some I really liked (even if they sometimes don´t follow the book precisely), such as Interview with a Vampire, Gone with the Wind, The Name of the Rose, The Merchant of Venice (thanks to Al Pacino!), Shining, The Godfather, Blade Runner, The Silence of the Lambs, East of Eden or Cyrano de Bergerac...
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Best: The Name of the Rose. It was so difficult to bring that book to film and so brilliantly done.
Worst: Winnetou 1 (german movie) It had nothing at all to do with the books except the title. Well. all those Karl May movies, really. Blech!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
Blade Runner
I love the movie and I like the story but the movie has a life of it's own and is only loosely based on the idea of the story.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #15
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
[SNIP]
Actually, the author of the book was Poul Anderson. Otherwise, Pshrynk is exactly on target with his description of the horror that is the movie.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote