Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #1
kalees
kalees began at the beginning.

Device: none
Testing approach for EPub

Hi,

I am very new to the EPublishing domain.

currently we are developing an Epub application that convert a pdf to epub file.

As a tester, we must ensure that all the text, images,table of contents, page heater and footer,... are converted correctly in the epub file as same as pdf.

For that, we have to compare both the files and validate the data.

Is there any open source tool available to do the above task perfectly or else we need it do manually?.

If you suggest manually, please tell me the procedure.

please guide me the best testing approach, it would be very grateful.

Thanks in Advance,
Kalees
kalees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:05 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Good luck on that application. At this moment, there are no good tools to do this. Part of it you already mention yourself. You need to go page through page to see if the conversion was correct.
The best results are usually achieved when doing a good OCR and then go through the documentation to fix everything. That is manual labor, although you can perhaps automate some things. However, only some.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
As noted by Toxaris, just plain slogging. There are very meticulous epub creators here that go through their submissions to the library repeatedly correcting previously unfound errors.

Your post also does not mention the significant problem of what flavor of epub, for which machine. Hitch makes her living weaving and dodging like a Superbowl quarterback among the creative variations the actual device manufacturers have put into their machines.

Lastly some things, like tables, pull quotes, etc will work only so long as the user stays within a certain size range. So a technically correct epub may not be so hot once you try to use it in a particular device.

Distributed Proofreaders, the group that checks Project Gutenberg books, has some software they use which allows viewing a PDF and another document together for proofreading. But I don't know if it is available or adaptable to your purpose.

I wish you much luck. You are going to need it.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalees View Post
Hi,

I am very new to the EPublishing domain.

currently we are developing an Epub application that convert a pdf to epub file.

As a tester, we must ensure that all the text, images,table of contents, page heater and footer,... are converted correctly in the epub file as same as pdf.

For that, we have to compare both the files and validate the data.

Is there any open source tool available to do the above task perfectly or else we need it do manually?.

If you suggest manually, please tell me the procedure.

please guide me the best testing approach, it would be very grateful.

Thanks in Advance,
Kalees
Eyball Mk I is the only way

All those items can/will convert

But...
they are now in the wrong places , because the source content does not have to be placed linear like EPUB or HTML.

Think back to the days of 'Page Paste ups', pieces glued into place for the plate photo shoot.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
As noted by Toxaris, just plain slogging. There are very meticulous epub creators here that go through their submissions to the library repeatedly correcting previously unfound errors.

Your post also does not mention the significant problem of what flavor of epub, for which machine. Hitch makes her living weaving and dodging like a Superbowl quarterback among the creative variations the actual device manufacturers have put into their machines.

Lastly some things, like tables, pull quotes, etc will work only so long as the user stays within a certain size range. So a technically correct epub may not be so hot once you try to use it in a particular device.

Distributed Proofreaders, the group that checks Project Gutenberg books, has some software they use which allows viewing a PDF and another document together for proofreading. But I don't know if it is available or adaptable to your purpose.

I wish you much luck. You are going to need it.

Well, thanks, guys! ;-)

I thought (for about a minute) about replying to this post, but this line:

Quote:
coming immediately upon the heels of THIS line:

Quote:
...convinced me not to. I mean, if you don't already know the answer to the question about whether or not the Magic Golden PDF comparison Tool doesn't exist, really, you got no bidness making no PDF-to-ePUB-making tools.

We all heard all the big buzz about "Silk" this past year, and how magical it all was, and, lo! All the "magic" is kept in-house. It's not a purchasable app or program or SAS; it's a SERVICE. That allegedly somehow makes creating PDF's into ePUBs "better" and more automated. Riiiiight. Y'know, if it really worked, without a bunch of underpaid laborers doing all the eyeballing, they'd be selling that sucker and people would be lined up for it.

This whole "how do I make a PDF into an ePUB" thing...honestly, it's getting on my last nerve, already this week, and it's only MONDAY. And a holiday, to boot!

I have a good client that sent me a series of files, to be compiled into a single book...about 30-ish. No problem, right? One of the "files" is 547 slides--yes, slides--in PPT. FIVE HUNDRED AND FORTY-SEVEN.

Y'know, I'd LOVE to hand this off to Mr. Markdown guy, on that other thread? And say, "here ya go. This allegedly exports in XML. Let's see how your idea works."

OISH.

Hitch
Grouchy Hitch, today.
REALLY grouchy Hitch, today.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...I have a good client that sent me a series of files, to be compiled into a single book...about 30-ish. No problem, right? One of the "files" is 547 slides--yes, slides--in PPT. FIVE HUNDRED AND FORTY-SEVEN.

It seems working in ebook conversion is a religious experience Hitch. You get a well developed concept of Hell and Eternity! (grin)
Old 01-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
BryanK
Connoisseur
BryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I mean, if you don't already know the answer to the question about whether or not the Magic Golden PDF comparison Tool doesn't exist, really, you got no bidness making no PDF-to-ePUB-making tools.
Yeah, I had the same initial impression, but it's likely that the "we" developing the application are not the same as the "we" responsible for testing it.
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone

From a testing approach, limited to errors in text itself, of which there are likely to be many, you could take each section of the book and copy it onto the clipboard from a program which displays epubs.

Then you could paste it into Word or other word processing program which has both spelling and grammar correction and do a spelling/grammar check. You could then fix the errors in Calibre's new editor program or in Sigil or even edit the original in a text editing program.

This may speed up the process from forever to way too long.