Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
pmulcahy11b
pmulcahy11b began at the beginning.

Device: Desktop PC
This is probably impossible, but I'll ask anyway

I have severe osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia, which often leaves me in bed computing with a laptop. It's networked to my desktop, and the external drive that keeps most of my data is connected to the desktop. My copy of Calibre is on the C drive of that desktop.

I prefer my EBooks in PDF, so I use Calibre to convert various formats to PDF. If I get an EBook in mangled PDF, I'll use Calibre to convert it to something I can edit.

So, does anybody know how I take those EBooks on the external drive and convert them through my network? Or, failing that, convert them using a copy of Calibre on my laptop, then meld the two sets of Calibre data back together again?
pmulcahy11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If the computers are networked you should be able to map the C drive on the desktop to the laptop and then point Calibre on the laptop to the library loaction on the desktop. Just don't leave Calibre open on one while trying to use it on the other or you might run into problems.

Another option would be to use DropBox or something like it to keep sync'd copies of the library on both computers. This is what I do so I can access the same library at home and at work. (this also gives me an extra backup copy on DropBox's server)

I'm sure someone with more technical knowhow will be along with more (better?) suggestions too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
3rd option.
VNC or Remote desktop connection.

What those do is remote control your PC, even from a old wimpy 386 laptop, because it is only a remote display and keyboard. The real crunch is done on the desktop.

Remote desktop connection, the Host needs to typically be a 'Pro/Premium version',
the client can be anything... Even Linux.

VLC runs cross platform ( I have seen it(the client) run on a iPad). There are claims of security (sniffing your session?) issues. Should not be a real problem on a wired home LAN.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
pmulcahy11b

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
3rd option.
VNC or Remote desktop connection.

What those do is remote control your PC, even from a old wimpy 386 laptop, because it is only a remote display and keyboard. The real crunch is done on the desktop.

Remote desktop connection, the Host needs to typically be a 'Pro/Premium version',
the client can be anything... Even Linux.

VLC runs cross platform ( I have seen it(the client) run on a iPad). There are claims of security (sniffing your session?) issues. Should not be a real problem on a wired home LAN.
Hmmm. I could do that with LogMeIn, but I was hoping for something more direct, and I didn't any of my C Drive set to share.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Hmmm. I could do that with LogMeIn, but I was hoping for something more direct, and I didn't any of my C Drive set to share.
Then perhaps use Option 4:

Move (copy initially for safety's sake) the library on your desktop to the external drive that you are willing to share and then configure your desktop's calibre to use the new location for its default library. Now you can point your notebook's calibre to the same library.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
pmulcahy11b

OK, here's an alternate thought: Can I run Calibre on my desktop and laptop, then mesh the two libraries and database files as necessary to allow me to synchronize them. I would have to copy over the existing database file, I guess, but would that work?

(BTW, Calibre's library is already on one of my external hard drives -- the same one I keep most of my data, including my new downloads on. The program itself is on the C drive.)
Old 02-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Perhaps a USB stick which you could back up every so often to one computer or the other.

Or a small portable hard drive. Or (I don't use it myself) a cloud services.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
dimitrisg
dimitrisg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
OK, here's an alternate thought: Can I run Calibre on my desktop and laptop, then mesh the two libraries and database files as necessary to allow me to synchronize them. I would have to copy over the existing database file, I guess, but would that work?

(BTW, Calibre's library is already on one of my external hard drives -- the same one I keep most of my data, including my new downloads on. The program itself is on the C drive.)
If you use this option, I would think you could use a 3rd party program like I use to synce the folders of the Calibre library. Set the one you want to use as the source and set it to sync the other to whatever changes are made to the source folder (such as desktop PC folder)
I use microsofts free folder sync program but I also purchased FolderClone to sync folders on my computers. It is quite handy.

Hopefully this option is helpful.

Regards!
dimitrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrisg View Post
If you use this option, I would think you could use a 3rd party program like I use to synce the folders of the Calibre library. Set the one you want to use as the source and set it to sync the other to whatever changes are made to the source folder (such as desktop PC folder)
I use microsofts free folder sync program but I also purchased FolderClone to sync folders on my computers. It is quite handy.

Hopefully this option is helpful.

Regards!
DO NOT Let a Folder Sync program write to the Library folder , Calibre has no way to know what happened and you will have a OMG mess

To Merge A Library (Assumes it will be on that USB External Drive. Also assumes both have the same custom fields/structure )
Plug the drive into the Laptop
Start Calibre
Right-click On the Library Icon: Create/switch to the hard drive library (This step adds the Library name to the copy to Menu)
Now Switch back to the (Laptops) Main Library

Select Books: Right-click: Copy to the HD's Library

There is a tweak
Code:
# Control how tags are applied when copying books to another library

BTW you can also copy from the HD to the LT, just start at the sourc Library
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote