Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 06-20-2024, 03:40 PM   #1
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Is anyone else having connection problems when trying to download audiobooks using the old OverDrive for Mac desktop app?

For the past couple weeks I've been having intermittent connection problems where the OverDrive app will throw an error message that says: "A connection to the Internet could not be established."

Last edited by odamizu; 06-24-2024 at 02:59 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 01:04 PM   #2
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hope I'm wrong, but it appears OverDrive for Mac desktop app is now dead.

I've been using it on an old Mac running 10.13 High Sierra (it won't run on anything newer than 10.14) and when I try to download an audiobook it throws an error message: "A connection to the Internet could not be established."

Also, Safari on High Sierra can no longer connect to my library's OverDrive website; instead it throws this error: "Error loading page ... there may be a network issue".

When I try on Chrome, the OverDrive website loads fine, but the "Download MP3 audiobook" button is no longer available. So not only is OverDrive for Mac not working, but Mac web browsers aren't offered a download button to get the .odm file.

So basically, OverDrive for Mac won't connect to the Internet and there's no way to get an .odm file using a browser on Mac (without using Developer Tools to change the User Agent to a Windows machine — but then we go back to the OverDrive-for-Mac-won't-connect-to-the-Internet problem).

Are OverDrive for PC users seeing similar problems, or is it just Mac that appears to be sunsetting?

Also, I notice that when I go to the OverDrive website the prompt to switch to Libby is much bigger.

I'm a little worried the OverDrive website is also being phased out in favor of libbyapp.com

Last edited by odamizu; 06-21-2024 at 01:17 PM.
Advert
Old 06-21-2024, 01:11 PM   #3
smeelah
smeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notes

Device: sansa clip
I'm using Mac OSX 10.12.6 Sierra.
I'm having the same issue but I don't think it is intentional. 🤞 It started happening around the same time that other issues began with my out-of-date chrome browser.

Yesterday, I could still access the Overdrive website on Chrome although some of the book images were not working. It seems to be unable to load today.

I can still access Overdrive on Firefox 115.12.0esr and it looks the same as always.

A few people have posted about it in the subreddit /rLibbyApp
smeelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 09:47 PM   #4
odamizu
just an egg

Thank you @smeelah for the reference to the discussion on subreddit /rLibbyApp. I am somewhat heartened that people are having issues with both ebooks/.acsm and audiobooks/.odm, which suggests it's not an intentional phasing out of OverDrive for Mac.

Last edited by odamizu; 06-22-2024 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-22-2024, 05:05 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Today I had a problem accessing an eBook in Overdrive and Libby. (websites, not apps). Eventually it did work and I was able to download the eBook.

Maybe you were just caught up in this issue and things were just stuck.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2024, 10:02 AM   #6
smeelah
smeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notessmeelah can name that song in three notes

Yes, same here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Thank you @smeelah for the reference to the discussion on subreddit /rLibbyApp. I am somewhat heartened that people are having issues with both ebooks/.acsm and audiobooks/.odm, which suggests it's not an intentional phasing out of Kindle for Mac 🤞🤞
Old 06-22-2024, 10:04 AM   #7
smeelah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Today I had a problem accessing an eBook in Overdrive and Libby. (websites, not apps). Eventually it did work and I was able to download the eBook.

Maybe you were just caught up in this issue and things were just stuck.
I'm still unable to download but hopefully soon 🤞
Old 06-23-2024, 05:01 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeelah View Post
I'm still unable to download but hopefully soon ��
I wasn't using the Overdrive program to download the eBook. I was just using a browser on the Library's Overdrive site and the Libbyapp site. I eventually did get the eBook to download the .acsm file from the library's Overdrive site. Also, I'm on Windows.
Old 06-23-2024, 05:05 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Using the Overdrive program on Windows 11, I was able to download an audiobook no problem.
Old 06-23-2024, 12:46 PM   #10
smeelah

Yeah, it seems to be a mac and adobe issue.

If not solved, I plan on adding a Linux partition.

Quote:
Using the Overdrive program on Windows 11, I was able to download an audiobook no problem.
Old 06-23-2024, 02:14 PM   #11
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:

I hope I'm wrong, but I think OverDrive Media Console for Mac is dead.

@smeelah: This works on my Sonoma Mac: https://github.com/chbrown/overdrive. (Didn't bother trying it on High Sierra).
Old 06-23-2024, 08:59 PM   #12
smeelah

Oh interesting. I'll have to see if I can use it on my Mac mini. Otherwise I may have to try that with Linux on my macbook. Thank you!

My library gave me this url to report the issue to Overdrive: https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/72230...e-Support-Form

There was an issue with downloading the odms in the last year or so and it was fixed, so while you may be right as this seems like the result of an update, I haven't totally completely lost hope ha ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but I think OverDrive Media Console for Mac is dead.

@smeelah: This works on my Sonoma Mac: https://github.com/chbrown/overdrive. (Didn't bother trying it on High Sierra).
Old 06-23-2024, 10:33 PM   #13
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Oh interesting. I'll have to see if I can use it on my Mac mini. Otherwise I may have to try that with Linux on my macbook. Thank you!
The script was written for Mac (but also works on Linux).
Old 06-24-2024, 10:22 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Why use Linux when Windows works better for this?
Old 06-24-2024, 05:35 PM   #15
smeelah

Because I have a Mac. If I'm going to run another OS, I'd prefer to try Linux. It seems lighter, if I'm not mistaken and possibly more useful.

Also, I previously used Overdrive with a PC and I didn't love it. Perhaps it has improved.

Quote:
Why use Linux when Windows works better for this?