Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2014, 04:36 AM   #1
freewheeling
Nameless Being

What happened to the "register new Kindle" button?

I was going to re-register my mom's Kindle to my account so she'd have access to my reading list but wanted to do it online since she get's flustered about doing it on the device. I deregistered her device on her account, but when I then went to my account there was no "register new Kindle" button. I know it used to be there, but Amazon seems to have either hidden the capability to enter the serial number yourself or they're no longer allowing that. Is this capability now hidden somewhere, or does it just no longer exist?

And BTW, I hate that new Manage Your Content and Devices page. It has that stupid drop down header that suddenly hides everything as you scroll down.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
And BTW, I hate that new Manage Your Content and Devices page. It has that stupid drop down header that suddenly hides everything as you scroll down.
I hate it also. A lot of the new web pages are going to this ugly, big-text mess. I guess they catering to tablet users? -- or, maybe, just people who like ugly web pages that require a lot of scrolling. As for your "register your device button," it looks like it's gone. I guess it was too convenient.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 06:24 AM   #3
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
The UI has been changed a while ago. Now you can only register a kindle with a kindle itself, as far as I know.
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyen View Post
Now you can only register a kindle with a kindle itself, as far as I know.
If that's right, how does the Kindle "know" which country's Kindle store to register itself to?

I have a Kindle that I bought in the US, and which is registered to my Amazon.com account. For now, I'm happy with that. But I might want to re-register it to my UK account one day. It sound like that might not be possible.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Mike L: In my case (a mix of US & FR devices), it appears that the 'Devices' tab is global (ie. I see all my devices on both control panels), but the 'Content' tab is store-specific.

The latest FR-bought device automagically registered on setup as usual.

It would appear the 'Store Language' setting is law? No idea, I've never bought anything off the French KS ;/.

In the same vein, I had to report a device stolen, and started doing that with the US Kindle CS, since that's were my content is, but they forwarded the request to the FR Kindle CS since that specific device was ordered from Amazon.fr.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-09-2014 at 12:21 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It's been a couple of years since you could register online, I believe. You have to do it from the Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:53 AM   #7
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
If that's right, how does the Kindle "know" which country's Kindle store to register itself to?

I have a Kindle that I bought in the US, and which is registered to my Amazon.com account. For now, I'm happy with that. But I might want to re-register it to my UK account one day. It sound like that might not be possible.

Mike
It knows by its IP address. However, this can be manually determined by updating https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fi...ntry%23country

It's best that your IP address matches the country you choose.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It knows by its IP address.
Are you sure about that? In fact, does the Kindle even have its own IP address? Surely, the address that Amazon sees is that of the network you are connected to at any given time?

If you are right about the IP address, then I would expect it to connect to my UK account when I am in the UK, but it clearly doesn't do that. It doesn't even know I have a UK account.

In any case, the page you directed me to has got nothing to do with which country's Amazon store your Kindle is registered to. My understanding is that it is used to tell Amazon your current country of residence, which it needs to know when determining whether to charge VAT and also for dealing with geographic restrictions on some books.

Mike
Old 09-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
jeffyen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Are you sure about that? In fact, does the Kindle even have its own IP address? Surely, the address that Amazon sees is that of the network you are connected to at any given time?

If you are right about the IP address, then I would expect it to connect to my UK account when I am in the UK, but it clearly doesn't do that. It doesn't even know I have a UK account.

In any case, the page you directed me to has got nothing to do with which country's Amazon store your Kindle is registered to. My understanding is that it is used to tell Amazon your current country of residence, which it needs to know when determining whether to charge VAT and also for dealing with geographic restrictions on some books.

Mike
What I mean is that the kindle knows the ip address of your wifi connection. This can be seen when you first register the kindle, it will show a timezone and it will be correct.

About the 'store that you are registered to', yes I think I was right the first time. What happens is that it checks the address I mentioned in my link. If it's US or worldwide, the Kindle will ask to link to the US store. If the address is in UK, it will ask to link to the UK store and so on. In your case, you need to 'tell amazon' that you want to set your status as UK from that link to change your address.

I think years ago, there was a difference between registering the same email address to the US and UK store. Recently I found out that amazon will link the two, i.e., my email address entered into the .com and .co.uk stores display all my registered kindles.

So I just logged into .co.uk store, and the message there says:

"The Kindle Store at Amazon.co.uk is for UK customers only. Not from the UK? Please visit the Amazon.com Kindle Store to shop for digital content available for your country. Have you moved recently? You may change your country on the Manage Your Content and Devices page."
Old 09-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #10
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
they stopped us being able to register a kindle simply using the serial number online because some bad people would find serials of kindles (fire, dx, touch.. etc, this was before paperwhite), change the digits until they got a serial that registered, and then they would have a kindle registered to their account.
then they could contact amazon's support and say that their device has problems, and a replacement would be shipped out to their address (usually an empty house nearby).

by using a 'fake'/temporary amazon account, and a $10 visa gift card linked to the account in case they are made to pay the shipping charge/security test fee - and so that amazon thinks they can charge that card in case they do not receive the faulty kindle in return, ending up with the abuser receiving a kindle (or 4) and, of course, not sending a 'damaged' kindle back to amazon.

Quote:
if you have a uk address on your amazon account (.com and .co.uk share the same user account, .ca and .de too. .co.jp does not from what i remember, i have an account there with the same email address as .com, but different password, when i log into things like the kindle app for android, depending on what password i type takes me to a different language!) - you can simply change the country in your settings on your manage your kindle page.
it's very possible, i have done the exact same thing back and forth many many times

--- infact, i just remembered that i made this little guide of 4 pictures to help explain what to do because this seems to come up about every month - it's uk->usa but it's either nearly or exactly the same thing for any shop i guess
http://imgur.com/a/2beaH hope it helps

Last edited by zxczxc; 09-11-2014 at 12:59 PM.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
About the 'store that you are registered to', yes I think I was right the first time. What happens is that it checks the address I mentioned in my link. If it's US or worldwide, the Kindle will ask to link to the US store. If the address is in UK, it will ask to link to the UK store and so on. In your case, you need to 'tell amazon' that you want to set your status as UK from that link to change your address.
Thanks for the clarification. You might well be right, but what you say is not in line with my own experience. When my previous Kindle was damaged, I got a replacement sent from amazon.com. I registered it from within the UK (so my IP address was a UK one), but it didn't give me any options about which country to register in. It just automatically registered to my US account. I've just had another look at the settings screens, and there doesn't seem to be any way to change that.

It's interesting what you said about linking the two accounts (UK and US). But again, that's not my experience. When I log into my .com account, I can see no mentions of my UK-purchased books, and vice versa.

I should add that my Kindle is quite an old one, and I first registered it (or, rather, its predecessor, before I received the replacement) over five years ago. It's quite possible things have changed since then.

I'm not too bothered by any of this. If and when I decide to change my country of registration (and I've no compelling reason to do so), I'm sure the nice people at Kindle support will do what's necessary.

Mike