Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2014, 01:17 AM   #1
PeterOnne
PeterOnne began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
How to modify the header (title bar)?

Please, anyone knows how to modify the size of the header in the kobo aura HD? Because every book I read in the ereader, a have 1.5cm, at least, in the top of the screen.
I have already patch my 3.3.0 firmware. But I can't find a way to change the header.
Thanks.

Last edited by PeterOnne; 05-17-2014 at 02:39 PM.
PeterOnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:43 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't know any way to reduce the size of the top margin in kepubs.

The only option I know of is to sideload the book as a plain epub, and then the margins can be made as small as 15px (about 1.5mm on the Aura HD).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #3
PeterOnne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I don't know any way to reduce the size of the top margin in kepubs.

The only option I know of is to sideload the book as a plain epub, and then the margins can be made as small as 15px (about 1.5mm on the Aura HD).
Thank you GeoffR. You were my hope...
Old 05-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
PeterOnne

The problem is that all my eBooks are epubs, uploaded to the kobo by calibre. And all of then has the big header! Can I change all the headers of my epubs in calibre?
Old 05-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
PeterOnne

Just to remender, the new firmware has a cool fullscreenmode that solves the problem of wasted space in the screen of Aura HD. But the footer with the page number is a good thing to me. I just want to erase the headers.
Advert
Old 05-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #6
PeterOnne

Anyone with sugestions?
Old 05-16-2014, 12:42 AM   #7
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
There is a Calibre plugin which converts epubs to kepubs when sending to the device. Perhaps you have that installed?

If not, you will have to modify the stylesheets of your books.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:25 AM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterOnne View Post
The problem is that all my eBooks are epubs, uploaded to the kobo by calibre. And all of then has the big header! Can I change all the headers of my epubs in calibre?
Have a look at the Modify ePub plugin, it can set the page/body margin styles set in the css stylesheet and/or in the html files, and remove margins from any Adobe .xpgt files (or remove the .xpgt files altogether).

(It doesn't always work for left/right margins, especially with books created/converted by Calibre, but it seems to work well for top/bottom margins).

Also check the margin settings on your Common options > Page setup preferences. These are the margins used when converting/creating a book in Calibre, as well as by the Modify ePub plugin.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
PeterOnne

Quote:
Have a look at the Modify ePub plugin, it can set the page/body margin styles set in the css stylesheet and/or in the html files, and remove margins from any Adobe .xpgt files (or remove the .xpgt files altogether).

(It doesn't always work for left/right margins, especially with books created/converted by Calibre, but it seems to work well for top/bottom margins).

Also check the margin settings on your Common options > Page setup preferences. These are the margins used when converting/creating a book in Calibre, as well as by the Modify ePub plugin.
I will check this on the weekend. And I'll post here the results.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
PeterOnne

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
There is a Calibre plugin which converts epubs to kepubs when sending to the device. Perhaps you have that installed?

I will check this on the weekend. And I'll post here the results.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
PeterOnne

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post

Doubleshuffle,

Exactly, I had the kobotouchextended. That plugin was converting every book to kepub in the upload process. Thanks a lot.
Just starting with ereaders...
Old 05-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
PeterOnne

Quote:

Thanks GeoffR, this plugin worked fine with many epubs. Other ones, I just don't know what happens... Thanks a lot again.
Still looking for some way to disable the title bar in kepub
Old 05-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Personally, I just read epubs. These don't have the title bar, so there isn't anything to get rid of. If there is any space at the top, it means the code in the epub has put it there. You need to edit the epub to change that. Or run an epub to epub conversion with the appropriate options to remove the space.

There are two hidden config option that might help.

Adding "FullScreenReading=true" in the "FeatureSettings" section of the config file adds an option to the "Reading Settings" screen to show/not show the heading and footing when reading.

Putting "showPageHeader=true" in the "Reading" section of the config file will remove the title when reading kepubs. I haven't tried this one for a while, but, on my Glo it doesn't help that much. The title is removed, but most of the header space is still there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:01 PM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard

Some more progress on this: Using full-screen reading mode as explained by davidfor above, in combination with this patch to set the built-in kepub margin to zero, when you set the margin slider to the far left, the whole screen -- every pixel -- is available for text when reading kepubs.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #15
price
price began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Personally, I just read epubs. These don't have the title bar, so there isn't anything to get rid of. If there is any space at the top, it means the code in the epub has put it there. You need to edit the epub to change that. Or run an epub to epub conversion with the appropriate options to remove the space.

There are two hidden config option that might help.

Adding "FullScreenReading=true" in the "FeatureSettings" section of the config file adds an option to the "Reading Settings" screen to show/not show the heading and footing when reading.

Putting "showPageHeader=true" in the "Reading" section of the config file will remove the title when reading kepubs. I haven't tried this one for a while, but, on my Glo it doesn't help that much. The title is removed, but most of the header space is still there.
It does not work on Kobo Aura One, the title is still there.
price is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura hd, header, patch, title bar