Notices

Old 02-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
pauleigh
pauleigh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Hi from (sunny!!) Bristol

Hi all
This is my first post.
I found this site while looking around with the intention of buying an ebook reader (possibly a Bebook Neo),as I always have trouble deciding which books to take on holiday & end up taking 6 or 7 (you can see I read alot on my hols) but this eats into luggage allowance. so thought I'd go for
the ' digital option' where I can take as many as I want.
Anyway that's my first post over - it wasn't so bad !!
pauleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wonderful welcome to MR. There is a ton of information on the various ebook readers. Check the wiki and lots of discussion on all of them in the associated forums.

Check the library for many many free ebooks.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
frank.w
Enthusiast
frank.w began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (sans 3G)
Welcome

I'm new here myself.

I think we are supposed to read the guides about posting and what-not -- to bad I can't download them to my kindle (or perhaps I can?)

Frank
frank.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi pauleigh and welcome to MobileRead. You are absolutely right; an eBook reader is a great thing to have on travel. Having your entire library in the palm of your hand sure beats shelling out excess baggage fees.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
pauleigh

Also helps with - ' do I take these books ?? or that trilogy ?? or do I take all these books ?? & leave some clothes at home !!

I think I have decided to go for the Bebook Neo - ...... or the Sony .. Or possibly the cybook !! ......
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've had a Sony 505 for over two years and really like it.

Also, my wife and I were on vacation a year or so ago and we were relaxing on the beach. I was reading away on my Sony when I noticed a guy a few beach chairs away reading an author I'd never tried. So I wandered over and asked how he liked it.

He said he liked this particular author a lot and, as he was reading a book a day on vacation, he'd brought three of his books plus a ton other with him

"You need an eBook reader", I said. He didn't have a clue what I wan on about, so I walked back to my beach chair and grabbed my Sony and showed it to him. He was over the moon. Had never heard of an eBook reader but said he was going to get one as soon as he got home. "Can't wait", he said.

Then, an hour or so later, he and his wife left the beach to head back to their room. And a couple of hours after that, he came wandering back to the beach, handed me the book he'd just read and said, "That's thanks for showing me what an eBook reader was"
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
pauleigh

I know how that guy felt - as I have said I usually take about 6 or 7 books on holiday,
But only cheap ones I have picked up at car boot sales or charity shops, because when I've finished them they do not come back home with us. They are passed onto a hotel reception or 2nd hand book shop where we are staying.
Sometimes I will by a book 3 or 4 times because I want to read it again like - lotr, magician (feist) The Redemption of Althalus (eddings), Stephen King & Lovecraft.
It will be nice to be able to carry these around " forever" to read whenever I want.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi Pauleigh & welcome to MR. Have you checked out the forum 'which one should I buy' which also has a comparison matrix in the wiki?
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi pauleigh, welcome to MR!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Welcome to MobileRead, pauleigh! Look around and make yourself at home. Donuts are in the Lounge!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #12
pauleigh

mmmmmm! donuts !! is there anything they can't do !!!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank.w View Post
I'm new here myself.

I think we are supposed to read the guides about posting and what-not -- to bad I can't download them to my kindle (or perhaps I can?)

Frank
Is your Kindle a Kindle 2? If so, then there's no problem; simply copy the rules to a .txt file and import it into your Documents folder. That's how I read them. Alternately you could "Print" the page as a .pdf file and import it; assuming you're using the latest Kindle software version (2.3.3).

The K1 doesn't accept .pdf files, but I don't know about .txt files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleigh View Post
mmmmmm! donuts !! is there anything they can't do !!!!!
Yep! Got a feeling this fellow's gonna' fit right in here!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-02-2010 at 02:12 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #14
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	chick.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	46924 pauleigh, and welcome to the forum.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote