Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-07-2023, 06:59 PM   #1
wjBLqf-_9
Enthusiast
wjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None
document template for new ebooks

Greetings!

At the moment I am using a DOTX word document template to copy+paste articles / stories into.

I am not a genius expert about Microsoft Word or Word Document template files... maybe there is a special sauce to make this work?

My problem is getting the critical Tags (i.e. 'document properties') passed to Calibre when I add the DOCX file.

==========
Through Trial-n-Error I have determined the following translation between Word Document Properties and Calibre Fields"
-Word Document Standardized Property "Title" = Calibre Field "Title"
-Word Document Standardized Property "Author" = Calibre Field "Author"
-Word Document Standardized Property "Company" = Calibre Field "Publisher"
-Word Document Standardized Property "Tags" = Calibre Field "Tags"
-Word Document Standardized Property "Comments" = Calibre Field "Description"
-Word Document Property "????" = Calibre Field "Series"
-Word Document Property "????" = Calibre Field "Series_Index"
-Word Document Property "????" = Calibre Field "ID" (for me all ID's are "url:https://path.to.source/destination.html")
-Word Document Property "????" = Calibre Field "Genre"
==========
Spoiler:

==========
I am able to 'eASILY' add the following document propertires in the main document text portion of the DOTX file... and these field seasily pass into Calibre:
-Word Document Standardized Property "Title" = Calibre Field "Title"
-Word Document Standardized Property "Author" = Calibre Field "Author"
-Word Document Standardized Property "Company" = Calibre Field "Publisher"

('eASILY' = I can pick the Word Document property and make it a grey highlighted text input field in the document text portion of the DOTX document)
==========

==========
I am able to 'nOT-eASILY' get the following tag fields into word document properties.... in an approach that is conducive to import into Calibre

('nOT-eASILY' = I cannot pick the Word Document property and make it a grey highlighted text input field in the document text portion of the DOTX document... it is inconvenient to have to click "file" and edit properties there.)
==========

Is there anyway to create a DOTX template to'eASILY' (^above^) type in the following word document standardized property fields so the DOCX import process also passes the following fields into calibre?

Does Calibre support "Custom" DOCX property fields?
-Word Document Custom Property "CalibreFieldSeries" = Calibre Field "Series"
-Word Document Custom Property "CalibreFieldSeriesIndex" = Calibre Field "Series_Index"
-Word Document Custom Property "CalibreFieldID" = Calibre Field "ID" (for me all ID's are "url:https://path.to.source/destination.html")
-Word Document Custom Property "CalibreFieldGenre" = Calibre Field "Genre"

Last edited by theducks; 08-07-2023 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spoilered log
wjBLqf-_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 07:53 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Word has no support for series and similar calibre specific fields so there wont be dedicated UI for it you can use.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2023, 04:55 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I edit in odt format in LO Writer and Save As an EXTRA docx for Calibre
Importing the docx to Calibre gives
Code:
-LO Writer Properties "Title" = Calibre Field "Title"
-LO Writer Options | User Data "First/last name/initials" = Calibre Field "Author"
-LO Writer Options | User Data "Company" = Calibre Field "Publisher"
-LO Writer Properties "Keywords" = Calibre Field "Tags"
-LO Writer Properties "Comments" = Calibre Field "Description"
-LO Writer Properties "????" = Calibre Field "Series"
-LO Writer Properties "????" = Calibre Field "Series_Index"
-LO Writer Properties "Subject" = Calibre Field "Tags"
Document Language seems to go to Calibre Language
Date is date first imported or record without formats created.

LO Writer Options | User Data [./] Use data for document properties

No need for Calibre Field "ID"
I'd put Series and Series_Index in the Comments and then after import Copy/paste those in the Metadata editor.

I don't see a Calibre Field "Genre"?
Subject and Keywords seem to be alphabetically sorted and combined to Tags.
Publish date is edited from a spreadsheet, if applicable.
I have a separate custom Collections column used for Sony and Kobo ereaders that is manually entered.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
docx, dotx, fields, import