Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM   #1
avresbo
Enthusiast
avresbo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD / Kobo Libra H2O
Sage Fnac

I own a Sage Fnac version . Can I run the "regular" Kobo? What´s the diference between the two versions?

Thank´s in advance.
avresbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #2
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
I believe it's just a flag in the affiliate.conf file, isn't it? You could turn it off and it would be a "stock" Kobo:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Affiliate.conf
Cactus Chef is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you look on your Sage in the .kobo directory, you will see a file called affiliate.conf. In that file, you will find a line reading affiliate=<affiliate name>. Using kobo as the affiliate name and restarting will remove the FNAC customization.

You can check the MobileRead WIKI Affiliate.conf entry for a more or less complete list.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:25 AM   #4
bluepeter
Connoisseur
bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.

Device: Clara 2E, Clara BW, Mini, Libra H2O, Paperwhite (10G), Boox Poke 5
Editing the affilliate.conf file might not work.

I bought a Libra H2O on eBay a while back, and it turned out to be a fnac version. I was unable to connect it to my Kobo account. The seller suggested editing the affiliate.conf file, which I did. However, something then overwrote it when I rebooted, making it again an fnac version that wouldn't allow connection to my Kobo account. I ended up returning the e-reader for a refund.
bluepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:53 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Interesting. I've switched affiliates multiple times. I do have a vague memory of reading that the FNAC affiliate will re-appear after a firmware upgrade but that about all I can recall.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 03:51 AM   #6
bluepeter
Connoisseur
bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.

Device: Clara 2E, Clara BW, Mini, Libra H2O, Paperwhite (10G), Boox Poke 5
In the case of my Libra, it didn't even involve a firmware upgrade. I've been able to find the exchange of e-mails between me and the seller. It reads like this:

Seller -
Please try this, and hopefully, this should work. If not, then open the return.

Finally, there's the FNAC splash screen on loading, and the FNAC screensaver when it's in sleep mode; this can be changed by plugging your Kobo into a computer, opening the .kobo folder and editing affiliate.conf so that "affiliate=fnac" reads "affiliate=" (just delete the "fnac", and then rebooting. This will tell the reader that you bought it straight from Kobo, instead of from an affiliate reseller. (That was the first "hack" I did when I bought my first Kobo from Walmart, and it got me hooked into what tweaks I could do to make the Kobo even better)

Me -
I'm sorry to say that it didn't work.

I found the affiliate.conf file, edited as instructed, saved it and rebooted. Attempts to register the e-reader to my Kobo UK account failed in the same way as yesterday: error messages involving fnac. Examining the affiliate.conf file revealed that something had rewritten it, returning it to its previous state - i.e., it again reads "affiliate=fnac". I went round the loop three times, just to make sure that I hadn't done something wrong (not that there's a lot of scope for it), with identical results. The only change is that the fnac logo has gone from the Powered off screen.

(The seller was as good as gold over the return and refund after this. One of the better eBay sellers.)
bluepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:34 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepeter View Post
In the case of my Libra, it didn't even involve a firmware upgrade. I've been able to find the exchange of e-mails between me and the seller. It reads like this:

Seller -
Please try this, and hopefully, this should work. If not, then open the return.

Finally, there's the FNAC splash screen on loading, and the FNAC screensaver when it's in sleep mode; this can be changed by plugging your Kobo into a computer, opening the .kobo folder and editing affiliate.conf so that "affiliate=fnac" reads "affiliate=" (just delete the "fnac", and then rebooting. This will tell the reader that you bought it straight from Kobo, instead of from an affiliate reseller. (That was the first "hack" I did when I bought my first Kobo from Walmart, and it got me hooked into what tweaks I could do to make the Kobo even better)

Me -
I'm sorry to say that it didn't work.

I found the affiliate.conf file, edited as instructed, saved it and rebooted. Attempts to register the e-reader to my Kobo UK account failed in the same way as yesterday: error messages involving fnac. Examining the affiliate.conf file revealed that something had rewritten it, returning it to its previous state - i.e., it again reads "affiliate=fnac". I went round the loop three times, just to make sure that I hadn't done something wrong (not that there's a lot of scope for it), with identical results. The only change is that the fnac logo has gone from the Powered off screen.

(The seller was as good as gold over the return and refund after this. One of the better eBay sellers.)
Maybe this will help:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=40
John F is offline   Reply With Quote