Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
thorne
Edge User

possibility of future update improving boot time

Good Day All,

What is the likelihood of a future update improving boot up time? Shutting down the EE when not in use seems to be the best way to conserve power. However, because the load time is so slow, I can see why someone would avoid doing this. That said, though, I can much better gauge my battery usage and charging when completely powering down during non-usage periods.

Thanks

Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
borisb
Edge User

My tests in the past indicate that merely putting the EE to sleep (by closing it) gives a "standby" battery time of 16-20 hours. This effectively gives you all day usage. It also helps to turn the wifi off when you're not using it (most conveniently by installing the Power Control widget to your home screen, for example), as wifi draws almost as much power as the LCD.

If you're trying to stretch battery life out to 2-3 days, well...

Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
fgruber
Edge User

Ideally we need an hybernation mode where there is almost no power used and it comes back on faster than booting. Don't know whether this is possible though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
My tests in the past indicate that merely putting the EE to sleep (by closing it) gives a "standby" battery time of 16-20 hours. This effectively gives you all day usage. It also helps to turn the wifi off when you're not using it (most conveniently by installing the Power Control widget to your home screen, for example), as wifi draws almost as much power as the LCD.

If you're trying to stretch battery life out to 2-3 days, well...

Old 02-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
Ideally we need an hybernation mode where there is almost no power used and it comes back on faster than booting. Don't know whether this is possible though.
It is possible, and enTourage has been working on it for a few months. I'd say there's a good chance it will be in the Froyo update (March/April).

Note that "hibernation" is a true zero-power/off mode, unlike the current "sleep" mode where power usage is minimized, but not eliminated.

Last edited by borisb; 02-15-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
thorne
Edge User

That is 'stand-by' time. If I'm bouncing on and off the device, isn't the the overall time of usage reduced?
I used to leave the edge on all of the time (stand by/actual usage) and just left it plugged up when I wasn't using it. After about a 6 months or so, the battery failed - the device would not start with the battery alone.
I don't know if my behavior contributed to the battery's fate or not, so I'm trying to avoid over recharging the battery, if possible.

Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
borisb
Edge User

A good number of people had battery problems with the EE. As far as I know they're under warranty for 1 year, so if it fails in this period I think enTourage replaces it (you can check with Tech Support).

Your indicated usage shouldn't have caused the battery to fail.

It is true that each time you "use" the device, you're using battery lifetime. However, by simply closing the eDGe when you're not using it (and/or turning off the wifi), you reduce the battery drain to minimal. You should get a good 8 hours of use on the EE if you're constantly using it, and 10-16 hours if you're using it on and off and closing it when not using it.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
thorne
Edge User

Thanks for the info!

Old 02-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
kenjennings
Edge User

In a couple weeks many of us first adopters will have batteries with expired warranties. I wonder if the battery will notice and commit suicide shortly thereafter as has happened on several other devices I've owned. I swear those things have built-in self-destructs on a timer.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
borisb
Edge User

The PE batteries supposedly will last 3-4 years at near peak capacity since they're "of an advanced design". Not sure if the EE battery is made of the same stuff (they may be...).

Old 02-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #10
nbfsinger
Edge User

I agree something needs to be done about the boot time maybe Android 2.2 will help? Currently it is ridiculous and takes longer to boot than my PC and this is a solid state device, should boot like a calculator!!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #11
zed
Edge User

This is one of my frustrations with the Pocket Edge, to be honest.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #12
televisi
Edge User

Same with me...