Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
peterkobovox
peterkobovox began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis, voyage, nook glowlight plus, kobo aura one
Kobo Aura One Japan change to English

Hi all,

I have collections of various ebook readers and I have settle for kindle oasis (for my mobi reader) and kobo aura h20 (for my epub reader), but I am now interested in kobo aura one, and I am considering buying one from Japan (because they are sold out in USA and Canada). Can anybody tell me if I would be able to reset the japanese version to english version if I buy one from Japan
peterkobovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
There is no Japanese version or English version, or any other version. The first time you switch on the device you have to select the user language.
Edit: You can change the user language any time.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2016, 11:07 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As far as I know all Kobo's use the same f/w regardless of where they are sold. On the initial power up (or after a factory reset) you will be prompted to select the language.

The one extra thing you would probably want to do is to change the affiliate listed in the affiliate.conf file.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
peterkobovox
peterkobovox began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis, voyage, nook glowlight plus, kobo aura one
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
As far as I know all Kobo's use the same f/w regardless of where they are sold. On the initial power up (or after a factory reset) you will be prompted to select the language.

The one extra thing you would probably want to do is to change the affiliate listed in the affiliate.conf file.
Thanks for the replies.
I will order now.

PeterT: what do you mean with affiliate.conf file? change to what?
peterkobovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
stevenam
stevenam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I'm using the KA1 purchased from Japan here. As tshering said, you can choose your language at the first time you turn it on, then just choose English.
stevenam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2016, 01:23 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkobovox View Post
Thanks for the replies.
I will order now.

PeterT: what do you mean with affiliate.conf file? change to what?
In the .kobo directory, you will find a file called affiliate.conf. Edit that file and change the line that reads affiliate=Rakuten to read affiliate=Kobo for example -- do not use Notepad on a Windows system to edit the file, use a end of line aware editor such as Notepad++.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-18-2016 at 01:25 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote