Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2024, 08:40 PM   #1
Eric Carroll
Eric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trolls

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7
Kobo Store & ADE - E_ADEPT_DOCUMENT_TOO_SHORT

I have 2 installations of ADE & Crossover (wine) installed that was known working as of 2 Jul 2024 when I last downloaded books from the Kobo store. I have been using this download workflow for at least 10 years with Kobo.

As of 2 weeks ago, using ADE with Kobo's download gets the dreaded E_ADEPT_DOCUMENT_TOO_SHORT error. This is happening on all my books in the store.

This doesn't happen on my ebooks.com account, just kobo.com, so ADE seems to still be functioning.

The usual statement is to deauthorized & reauthorize ADE, which I have tried multiple times (including clearing the registry key) but that has not cleared the problem.

I have opened a ticket with Kobo so we shall see what they say.

Does anyone else have any insight into what might be going on & how to work around it or resolve it?
Eric Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 11:27 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
What do you see when you open the .acsm file with a text editor? Do the .acsm files work with another application such as calibre ACSM plugin?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2024, 02:47 AM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I started getting this error about two weeks ago. You can read about my experiences here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4445828

The short form is that you can't use ADE 2.0 in WINE anymore. The only possible explanation I found was that Adobe may have increased the security requirement to TLS 1.2, which ADE 2.0 doesn't support out of the box. You can't install the Windows TLS 1.2 security update in WINE.

Your options include:
  1. Switch to the Calibre DeACSM plugin.
  2. Try updating to ADE 3.0.
  3. Configure a Windows 7 VM with the required TLS 1.2 update from Microsoft to (maybe) make ADE 2.0 work again.
I chose option 1, and all is well again. You can still set DeACSM to identify itself as ADE 2.0, which lends extra credence to the TLS 1.2 hypothesis; Calibre has access to TLS 1.2 through the Linux OS, whereas ADE 2.0 doesn't have access to TLS 1.2 through WINE.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #4
Eric Carroll
Eric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trollsEric Carroll doesn't feed trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I
The short form is that you can't use ADE 2.0 in WINE anymore. .
I am running ADE 4.5.11 & 4..5.12. Sorry for not including that. ADE 2.0 doesn't support TLS.

I am going to give the calibre plugin a try.

Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM   #5
Eric Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What do you see when you open the .acsm file with a text editor? Do the .acsm files work with another application such as calibre ACSM plugin?
The ACSM files look well formed to me. I am going to give the ACSM files a spin with the calibre plugin.

Thanks.
Advert
Old Today, 03:26 AM   #6
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thank you for confirming that updating ADE wouldn't actually help. It sounds like there is some compatibility problem within WINE itself, then, and it's not handling ADE correctly anymore.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote