Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-25-2021, 06:12 AM   #1
absalom
absalom began at the beginning.

Device: none
How does koreader work on PocketBook Touch Lux 5?

Hi, I already posted a similar question on PocketBook forum, but got no anwser. Below is what I was asking about.

I am planning to buy some not-too-expensive modern ereader for the very single purpose of reading many PDF. But I want an EINK device with a standard small screen 6' for reading in bed during the night.

The PocketBook Touch Lux 5 seems to fit my requirements, but I would like to have some feedback about how does koreader behave on such device.

In very old threads, I could see that koreader would make the whole device crash during use. I think it was an old issue and I am rather confident it is solved now. Are there any issue I should be aware of?

Strangely however, I can't find many threads about koreader on Touch Lux 5.

Best regards.
absalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
PB is *not* the best platform for us (mostly because it's quirky, and because we don't actually have a PB maintainer).

So, technically, it probably "works", but feel free to check out the amount of issues tagged "Pocketbook" on GH (and enjoy the fact that they get an instant "help-wanted" tag, too ;p).

An then go buy a Kobo instead ;p.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #3
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
KOReader has improved dramatically on Pocketbooks and does not freeze anymore. I use it as my standard reader on my Inkpad, Touch HD 3 and Touch Lux 3. The only problem is the WiFi, which goes to sleep quickly, and makes many functions that need the internet unusable in KOReader.

I tested KR briefly on a TL 5, it worked well, but I returned the device because of the uneven light. The first models of the TL 5 had an orange LED in the left corner and a white one in the right one. They changed that design for later batches.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:15 PM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Pocketbooks have all the inconvenients of Android e-ink readers (often broken FW, inhability for user apps to change certain behaviours of the framework, poor technical documentation...) but none of their advantages (ie: can't open external links in a browser, can't interact with other third party apps...)

The main benefit of Pocketbooks over other embedded platforms (kindle, kobo, remarkable ...) is that their launcher is able to open certain documents with the app you defined. That's cool if you want to preserve the "Library" feeling while using KO as a reader. If you're ok with KO filemanager then the advantage goes away.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:40 AM   #5
ichnilatis
Groupie
ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I was also looking for an ereader with the specifications you want and bought a Pocketbook Touch Lux 5. I have no problems using the KoReader, which I use for my readings (there are some rare crashes in certain actions, but I think it's something that happens on all devices). However I don't have internet connection when I use it and I can't tell you about this issue.
Regarding the lighting, even though my device was from the first batches, I have no problem with the warm light.
I think it's a good choice when you are looking for an economical solution and it does offer a library with many organization options (by folder, author, type, etc.)

Last edited by ichnilatis; 10-28-2021 at 11:43 AM.
ichnilatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert