Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 01-22-2022, 02:40 PM   #1
svkytbsld
Enthusiast
svkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Koreader speed: Kobo Forma vs. Pocketbook Inkpad 3

I have Inkpad 3 and I am using Koreader on it for pdfs. But as you may guess, the speed is terrible. It's very sluggish.

So, I have started to think about getting a Forma. it has +0.2 inch benefit and can be much speedy.

The question is, is it? How is Koreader performance of Kobo Forma? I tried Koreader on Libra 2 and it was amazing. May be Forma is good also...
svkytbsld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:00 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The Libra 2 uses the exact same SoC as the Forma. The only difference is the screen tech, which is... different (previous generation but plastic for the Forma, newer generation but glass for the Libra 2).

Given that PDF workloads are much more heavily tied to the SoC's performance than the screen's, I don't except any meaningful difference between the two (unless you're an eink nerd).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2022, 07:17 PM   #3
svkytbsld
Enthusiast
svkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to beholdsvkytbsld is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The Libra 2 uses the exact same SoC as the Forma. The only difference is the screen tech, which is... different (previous generation but plastic for the Forma, newer generation but glass for the Libra 2).

Given that PDF workloads are much more heavily tied to the SoC's performance than the screen's, I don't except any meaningful difference between the two (unless you're an eink nerd).
Thank you so much for this precise info. That counts a big plus for Forma...

What about your subjective experience? Is Forma a good device for Koreader (especially comparing PB)? Can you advice another 7.8"+ device for a speedier Koreader?
svkytbsld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:53 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Forma is an *excellent* device, bar the dreaded sidebar of suck lighting issue. Probably still my favorite, despite the much beefier SoC & performance of the Sage.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:23 AM   #5
VladimirS
Connoisseur
VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
I am using 2022.10. version (https://github.com/koreader/koreader...s/tag/v2022.10)
and PDF performance is very, very good.

My PDF-s are scanned books (around 300-500 pages) and around 30-50 MB.

Keep in mind that eink display have intrinsic permormance limits, in terms
of display refresh time which is around 0.4 S and does not include any
additional cpu time for processing of data before displaying it.

So, I can recommend Inkpad 3 for Koreader 2022.10. "Muhara" version .
VladimirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2022, 07:40 AM   #6
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Every device is great compared to Pocketbooks regarding speed.

But even pocketbooks can be a bit better than with stock settings.

By default KO uses the same waveforms the stock reader is using. They're slow also on PB reader.

IIRC there's a setting to changing waveforms. It is tuned for "max quality", you can try the setting just below that. You'll gain some speed and loose some quality. There're a few more settings but they're, IMHO, utterly unusable.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:43 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@pazos: IIRC, the "waveform modes" settings are no longer applicable now that we're using InkView for refreshes.

(The code is still there though, as is the hardware rota stuff on the few devices @ezdiy had).

PB's a mess.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:11 AM   #8
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@pazos: IIRC, the "waveform modes" settings are no longer applicable now that we're using InkView for refreshes.

(The code is still there though, as is the hardware rota stuff on the few devices @ezdiy had).

PB's a mess.
Oh, that's a pitty.

Indeed PB is a mess. At least we're doing it as good/bad as stock as far as eink refreshes.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:11 PM   #9
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladimirS View Post
I am using 2022.10. version (https://github.com/koreader/koreader...s/tag/v2022.10)
and PDF performance is very, very good.

My PDF-s are scanned books (around 300-500 pages) and around 30-50 MB.

Keep in mind that eink display have intrinsic permormance limits, in terms
of display refresh time which is around 0.4 S and does not include any
additional cpu time for processing of data before displaying it.

So, I can recommend Inkpad 3 for Koreader 2022.10. "Muhara" version .
My experience matches yours, both on the InkPad 3 and InkPad X.
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:10 PM   #10
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Every device is great compared to Pocketbooks regarding speed.
I still think that the performance of KOReader when reading a book is very similar on any compatible device, and the speed differences are minimal. PocketBook is no exception.

I leave a comparative video as an example...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1og3...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 10-27-2022, 07:45 AM   #11
VladimirS
Connoisseur
VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VladimirS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Great video, Cellaris !
Thanks for that.
VladimirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:41 PM   #12
Hyphen-ated
-
Hyphen-ated began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
I still think that the performance of KOReader when reading a book is very similar on any compatible device, and the speed differences are minimal.
On a Kobo Aura HD, I measured KOReader to take on average .6 seconds to turn a page in an epub. On a Kobo Forma that dropped to below .2 seconds

I consider that a pretty big difference
Hyphen-ated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 04:51 AM   #13
cellaris
Addict

Obviously there will always be devices that are faster than others in running KOReader, but the differences in tenths of a second are not perceived as slow. Turning pages, opening the dictionary, underlining a text, searching in the book, accessing the table of contents or bookmarks, turning several pages or chapters by gestures or touching the screen... All this (which is not done at the same time, but throughout the reading process) is perceived as being done immediately, not slowly, regardless of whether it takes a few tenths of a second longer with one device than with another. When I turn a page with the Tolino Shine 3 (after reading that page for a minute) I know that it takes longer than with a Kobo Clara HD, but when I am reading I don't perceive that slowness. What I perceive is that the page turns immediately. In my opinion these differences in tenths of a second (if they exist, because they do not always exist) are in practice irrelevant and do not affect a satisfactory reading.

What does feel slow when using KOReader is what takes several seconds to execute: opening a large book for the first time, changing a font or its size, changing the line spacing or margins.... This is indeed slow and sometimes very, very slow. (Curiously, this obvious slowness is accepted as a "lesser evil", even by those who are so concerned about speed).

But it is not my intention to elucidate which device is faster in running KOReader, but to point out that the basic configuration (what we do when we read a book) is the same on any device and that the differences at user level are not as important as sometimes indicated. And that the operation of KOReader cannot be separated from our tastes and needs. The best example is to read those forums where the million dollar question is asked: "which is the best device to use KOReader on". Every user offers a different answer (and, in my opinion, they are all right). So my advice is invariably the same: don't look so much at the performance of KOReader, but at the features of the device. If there are features that are important to you, choose the device that best suits those features, regardless of the device brand.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:22 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
All this (which is not done at the same time, but throughout the reading process) is perceived as being done immediately, not slowly, regardless of whether it takes a few tenths of a second longer with one device than with another.
Not for everyone. I am *extremely* sensible to UI latency, and, yeah, I *will* notice a difference as early as ~75ms.

(You can also put me in the group of people that will murder "smooth motion" algorithms out of every TV they can find, because it's an abomination; and that sensibility applies to on-screen motion judder, too).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-08-2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:15 PM   #15
Hyphen-ated
-
Hyphen-ated began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
What does feel slow when using KOReader is what takes several seconds to execute: opening a large book for the first time, changing a font or its size, changing the line spacing or margins.... This is indeed slow and sometimes very, very slow. (Curiously, this obvious slowness is accepted as a "lesser evil", even by those who are so concerned about speed).
Well, I open a large book for the first time once, and I turn a page of that book maybe 1000 times. So it is a lesser evil for the thing that happens 0.1% as often to be slower.

For me a .6 second page turn feels "tolerable but not great" while a .2 second one feels "quite good". it's very noticeable.

as a person who doesn't notice the difference, you have less need to prioritize a reader's page turning speed when making a decision about what to buy, because for you those differences feel minimal.

But it's not really helpful to go around telling people those differences are minimal, as if that were true for everyone. if the person you're advising is more perceptive than you, you're giving them bad advice.

Last edited by Hyphen-ated; 11-08-2022 at 08:27 PM.
Hyphen-ated is offline   Reply With Quote