Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Today, 06:37 AM   #1
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
New voice in Calibre

I frequently use "read aloud" when reading the books on my computer.

Today when I started "read aloud" up, it downloaded something (~100mb) and the voice was very different. I assume previously it was using the computers TTS voices, sort of robotic and quite a few mis-pronunciations, but I have been using it for years and was use to its quirks.)

The new voice sounds very human and only a few mis-pronunciations and is Much better.

In checking the site and the "what's new" on the download page, I see Calibre now uses Piper TTS support, and that is the new voice I am hearing.

But I could not find any info on accessing or controlling it in Calibre.

Mostly I would like to change the voice. The female one now is great, but when I am reading a violent war story, I kind of want to hear a man reading it....

Hearing "I unloaded a full clip from the AK-47 into him, shredding his body and spraying blood all over the room behind him" just does not have the same effect when hearing it in a nice delicate female voice.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:56 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Click the gear icon on the read aloud popup bar and you can select whatever voice you like.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 07:09 AM   #3
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
LOL. I checked everywhere else but that....

Thanks, found it.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:50 AM   #4
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Kristen voice is the one i go with for mysteries and i would also use for war. (usa voice) it has the most emotion in it. I hope as it develops. more uk voices will be added. a voice like ava on edge would be nice. but Kovidgoyal i dont think has control over that. anyone use windows 11 does it have more options ?
jonathan2022 is online now   Reply With Quote