Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-14-2023, 12:50 PM   #1
bookloverCA
bookloverCA began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Looking for a Libra 2 case with reliable auto sleep/wake function

I recently have been using Kindle for years. Recently bought a Libra 2. The cases from Kobo are too plain and expensive. I prefer something more interesting. Tried a couple 3rd party cases. None of them has auto sleep/wake working. I should have trusted the customer reviews. Many of them said that it didn't work though some of them said it did.

I found a thread about this. But it was from UK and too old. Products are no longer there. I live in the US. Kobo has only a small market share of eReaders. The choices on Amazon are limited. Does anyone know a case that has working auto sleep/wake? Thanks.
bookloverCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 01:42 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Cases from kwmobile are quite reliable for sleep/wake. I have one that I've had for about 6 years. No problem at all.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NVYDYM3

Last edited by issybird; 08-20-2023 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Oversize image deleted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2023, 07:33 PM   #3
bookloverCA

Thanks a lot @JSWolf. The case I have is from kwmobile. They seem to be one of the few vendors making Libra 2 cases. I also found the Amazon page for Libra 2 cases with cases similar to the H2O case you have. The very majority of 3, 2, and 1 star reviews are complaining about auto sleep/wake not working as advertised. Mine doesn't work, either. It is kind of frustrating to find a case. This is a totally different experience from what I have with Kindle. Auto sleep function never fails with any Kindle cases for different models I have for the last ten years. Could it be that Libra 2 hardware is hard to design a case for? Or simply there is not much demand for a decent case for it. I did a lot of research on Amazon. Have not find any cases that doesn't have a lot of complaints about auto sleep not working.

https://www.amazon.com/kwmobile-Case...p?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 08-14-2023, 08:50 PM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The functionality depends upon the magnets in the case aligning with the sensor in the Libra. If the magnets aren't aligned properly, it doesn't trigger the sleeping or waking. Also be sure you have the option for automatic sleeping and waking enabled; if you turn it off, the Libra ignores the sleep cover.

If your cover is indeed defective, your options are to exchange it, buy the official cover, or live without automatic sleeping and waking.

I also have a kwmobile case, and the magnets work for me; however, I do notice sometimes that when I wake the device, the book cover image is upside down, which leads me to suspect that the device sometimes wakes and sleeps again while the cover is closed, likely due to poor magnet placement in the sleep cover. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 10:10 PM   #5
bookloverCA

Thanks a lot for both responses. Let me try one more time. If it is till not working, I will go for the official one.
Advert
Old 08-14-2023, 10:33 PM   #6
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
I have this one since one year, no problems so far.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B09NSYR5J9
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 03:01 AM   #7
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
however, I do notice sometimes that when I wake the device, the book cover image is upside down, which leads me to suspect that the device sometimes wakes and sleeps again while the cover is closed, likely due to poor magnet placement in the sleep cover.
My Libra 2 does the same thing with the Kobo factory cover. I finally figured out the Kobo does not go to sleep immediately when the cover is closed; it takes a few seconds. During these few seconds is when I am in the process of laying it down on a table - at which time the top is pointed down, inverting the image. By the time the ereader is laying flat on the table it has gone to sleep - inverted.

If you can see the screen light underneath the edge of the cover, watch and see how long it takes to turn off.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 06:17 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I was just reccing the Gecko cover elsewhere, but if you're super price-sensitive it's probably not for you.

I've had several of their covers and sleep-wake has been solid always. (Working every time, and never triggering when not wanted.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 07:24 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The functionality depends upon the magnets in the case aligning with the sensor in the Libra. If the magnets aren't aligned properly, it doesn't trigger the sleeping or waking. Also be sure you have the option for automatic sleeping and waking enabled; if you turn it off, the Libra ignores the sleep cover.

If your cover is indeed defective, your options are to exchange it, buy the official cover, or live without automatic sleeping and waking.

I also have a kwmobile case, and the magnets work for me; however, I do notice sometimes that when I wake the device, the book cover image is upside down, which leads me to suspect that the device sometimes wakes and sleeps again while the cover is closed, likely due to poor magnet placement in the sleep cover. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.
It's nothing to do with poor magnet alignment. I have the same upside down from wake as you do and I have an official Kobo cover. It's just the way it is.
Old 08-15-2023, 07:25 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
I have this one since one year, no problems so far.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B09NSYR5J9
I have an origami case and I have never used it as a stand. If I was to get a new cover, origami would not be something I'd get.
Old 08-15-2023, 07:27 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I was just reccing the Gecko cover elsewhere, but if you're super price-sensitive it's probably not for you.

I've had several of their covers and sleep-wake has been solid always. (Working every time, and never triggering when not wanted.)
I bought a Gecko cover for my AURA H2O and it had to go back as the magnets were very much misaligned.
Old 08-15-2023, 09:54 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I bought a Gecko cover for my AURA H2O and it had to go back as the magnets were very much misaligned.
I have a kwmobile cover for a Libra 2 that doesn't sleep or wake. I can't feel a magnet. The Libra 2 can be slept/woken by moving a libra cover suitably.

So really most forum reports are going to be anecdotal rather than an accurate survey.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 11:41 PM   #13
bookloverCA

I ordered a kwmobile case again. It is only $9.99. And the auto sleep/wake function works perfectly! Here is the product link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09W9FV5XV...t_details&th=1
Old 08-17-2023, 02:23 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookloverCA View Post
I ordered a kwmobile case again. It is only $9.99. And the auto sleep/wake function works perfectly! Here is the product link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09W9FV5XV...t_details&th=1
Nice cover. Enjoy!
Old 08-18-2023, 12:41 PM   #15
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have also found that a lovely Libra 2 cover from kwmobile I ordered does not work so I sent it back. I have a Fintie one that works most of the time but not always.

I wish Kobo did a non-origami in a colour other than grey.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote