Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Today, 02:17 PM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Libra Color, Nxtpaper 11
Question Best method to implement multiple series for 1 book

I sometimes encounter a book which belongs to more than 1 series (spin-off/cross-over/re-issue, etc.). Up to now I did not bother (it seldom happens) so I just included a separate identical book copy for the other series. Problem solved.
Or is it? I have now 2 identical copies of the same book in the DB, and each is to be maintained separately to keep them in sync. Not handy. Also space-wise.
So I started thinking about a better solution with just one physical book entry: for instance adding a second "series" column to the book (would that work?) or do something with links (to a dummy book entry for the other series?)
So my question: has somebody tried this already and found good/better solution? What is advisable?
DrChiper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:35 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I just make a note about other series in the comments, but then I have very few such books (I tend to dislike spin-offs and crossovers, and I don't collect multiple issues of the same book, unless there have been substantial changes in the content). For your purpose, creating a custom column for series-like information would probably be the best solution.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 02:51 PM   #3
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
This has come up several times before. My general answer: Save yourself the headache of dealing with this problem by simply banging your head against your desk (preferably, quite vigorously), cursing the author for creating the metadata hell, and then drowning your pain in a nice glass of your preferred libation. Works every time.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:55 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
I sometimes encounter a book which belongs to more than 1 series (spin-off/cross-over/re-issue, etc.). Up to now I did not bother (it seldom happens) so I just included a separate identical book copy for the other series. Problem solved.
Or is it? I have now 2 identical copies of the same book in the DB, and each is to be maintained separately to keep them in sync. Not handy. Also space-wise.
So I started thinking about a better solution with just one physical book entry: for instance adding a second "series" column to the book (would that work?) or do something with links (to a dummy book entry for the other series?)
So my question: has somebody tried this already and found good/better solution? What is advisable?
There is a very simple solution. Figure out where you plan on reading this book. Then in series, put in that series and #. So you'll have it where you'll be reading it.

So if the book fits in series A as #4 and Series B as #3 and you plan in reading it as part of series B, put it under series B [3].
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:18 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What is the most relevant index for that book. Usually it is the spinoff.
A true Spinoff does not require knowledge of the parent story

OTOH It could be the branch of a Parent (Hierarchical)
Pern.Dragonriders
Pern.Harper Hall

Then there are (arbitrary?) Cycles.
C.J. Cherryh did this with Foreigner. I started with Cycles (as the Author indicated) and later just went linear.

I do have a Second (custom) Series column, for when 2 series play together.
J.A. Jance has books where 2 of her series overlap in a case

And then there is the Catchall: <Various> (BTW Kobo indicates a Blank series when I use this notation)

I usually Set MY Favorite series into 1 of my Series type columns and use <Various> when there are more than 2
I also have <Various not from a single Author> that gets used with collections / bundles.
In all Cases, <Various> gets an index of 0
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 03:32 PM   #6
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I do have a Second (custom) Series column, for when 2 series play together.
Just to add that a long time ago I needed something like that and this plugin came in handy:

"Supports both the built-in Calibre series column and optional custom series columns."
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=125729
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:40 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
Just to add that a long time ago I needed something like that and this plugin came in handy:

"Supports both the built-in Calibre series column and optional custom series columns."
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=125729
That won't help for eBooks on a Kobo as you can only have one series listed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:16 PM   #8
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was playing a little with the "manage series" option to <connect> two series to each other (which kind of works, but unfortunately not for a single book) and found the indicated popup. However, I have no clue what the column "Was" can be used for: it cannot be edited whatsoever.
Anybody?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-11 220543.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	210780  
Old Today, 04:20 PM   #9
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
This has come up several times before. My general answer: Save yourself the headache of dealing with this problem by simply banging your head against your desk (preferably, quite vigorously), cursing the author for creating the metadata hell, and then drowning your pain in a nice glass of your preferred libation. Works every time.
I take your advice: a brandy will do fine