Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #1
fredex
Enthusiast
fredex began at the beginning.

Device: none
how 2 move SOME (not all) books from windows/Calibre to linux/calibre

I run Kindle Reader (1.17) on a Windows VM (which runs on VBOX on Linux), and use Calibre with DeDrm tools on windows so import my purchased items from Kindle into Calibre.

My ultimate goal is to have those books available in the Calibre that runs natively on my Linux box.

As far as I understand export/import in Calibre, one exports an entire library, possibly moves it to another computer, and imports it as a separate library.

I don't want to do that every time I buy a few Kindle books, can you imagine the mess of libraries I'd have, each with a few books?'

So, I'm hoping for a way to copy individual books from windows/Calibre to linux/Calibre and have them all end up in the same Calibre library.

As far as I can see, there isn't a way to export a partial library, or to import it into an existing library somewhere else. If I'm wrong, I'd love to be corrected.

So, I'm thinking: what if I just copy the .azw3 files (or epub, if I convert them first) to the Linux box then do "add books" to bring those into Calibre? It seems that would lose the metadata files for each book, but does that hurt anything?

anyone with better ideas?

thanks in advance!

Fred
fredex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Use "save to disk". After doing whatever is needed in the Windows library, select the books and use "save to disk" to export them. Then copy the files to the Linux machine and add them to the calibre library. And the preferences has some options to adjust exactly what is done during the save-to-disk.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2017, 11:29 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
As davidfor says you can use "Save to Disk". You can also run the calibre server on the windowsVM then use the Linux browser to download to calibre.

I use wine and run Kindle on my Mint box using the all tools with no problems. The only time I download ebooks using windows is from Google or Kobo using ADE.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #4
fredex
Enthusiast
fredex began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks to both of you (davidfor, gbm) for the helpful replies.

I've done what davidfor said, and it worked great.

Since I'm using CentOS Linux, which doesn't have all the 32-bit stuff installed for 64-bit machines, wine doesn't work well with 32-bit windows apps. There is allegedly a solution for that that I haven't tried yet. So, therefore I cannot, at this moment, try the one with wine.
fredex is offline   Reply With Quote