Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-28-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
hotwired
hotwired began at the beginning.

Device: kindle hdx 8.9
Putting book folders vs. just .mobi files on a Kindle Fire

I have a question about putting books from my Calibre library on e ink kindle vs. kindle fire's. When I put a book on my eInk Kindle, I can copy and paste the whole folder into the Documents folder on my e ink version. It will be there, and show up on my screen. (By folder I mean the folder with the .mobi file, and the cover and the metadata.opf file) BUT I cannot put whole folders on any fire device in the Books folder. I have to ONLY put the .mobi file or nothing shows up. Not a huge deal but there's NO covers (the name of the cover file is cover.jpg ... and there can only be one file with that name in the whole books directory). Is there a way to force books to be "seen" on the carousel or library of a fire when dropping whole folders vs. just .mobi files?
hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the correct forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
hotwired
hotwired began at the beginning.

Device: kindle hdx 8.9
I do see now the forum is broken down into device types. I did not see that earlier, when I posted. Thanks for the move.
hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
An e-ink Kindle will find books in subfolders of the Documents folder. When you copy an entire book folder from calibre it will find the MOBI file and just ignore the extraneous cover and metadata files. It is not using that cover JPEG, but instead extracting the cover from your MOBI.

The Kindle app on Fire tablets does not search subfolders so your MOBI must be placed into the main books folder. Again the cover and metadata files from calibre will just be ignored if present.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote