Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM   #1
edojan
Enthusiast
edojan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Aura H2O
WSL Koreader - External keyboard language selector

Koreader works well under WSL (ubuntu) allowing me to type notes using my computer's keyboard. This massively speeds up book annotation in comparison to onscreen keyboarding. I wonder if anyone tried using foreign language keyboard layouts (I mean with the external keyboard)? Should I install the new keyboard layout under ubuntu or is there anything else that needs to be done in order for this to work?

Last edited by edojan; Yesterday at 06:07 PM.
edojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:23 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Different layouts should work fine on the desktop version.

When using a version that runs in a VM (such as KOReader on Windows, via WSL, or KOReader on ChromeOS, via Crostini) you shouldn't need to change layouts for particular deployments.

It should be enough to change the layout of the underlying Windows or ChromeOS system.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #3
edojan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Different layouts should work fine on the desktop version.

When using a version that runs in a VM (such as KOReader on Windows, via WSL, or KOReader on ChromeOS, via Crostini) you shouldn't need to change layouts for particular deployments.

It should be enough to change the layout of the underlying Windows or ChromeOS system.
Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case when running under WSL (see the screenshot). No matter what keyboard language / layout settings is selected under the host OS (in my case windows 11), Koreader remains oblivious to the changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-07-18_104200.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	209641  
Old Today, 11:20 AM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Make sure your settings look similar to https://github.com/microsoft/wslg/is...ent-2201566425

It might be possible that the settings are applied only after a WSL restart. If you're not sure how to do that just reboot windows.

Once the settings are correctly applied they should behave the same in all environments installed under the WSL virtual machine.

If that's not the case please double check that you can reproduce the same issue in any other linux GUI app. Never discard a regression in WSL
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:50 AM   #5
edojan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Make sure your settings look similar to https://github.com/microsoft/wslg/is...ent-2201566425

It might be possible that the settings are applied only after a WSL restart. If you're not sure how to do that just reboot windows.

Once the settings are correctly applied they should behave the same in all environments installed under the WSL virtual machine.

If that's not the case please double check that you can reproduce the same issue in any other linux GUI app. Never discard a regression in WSL
I have reviewed the github thread above and reset all the language / region settings to default. Unfortunately, this did not help.
All terminal apps display the languages correctly and respond to the windows keyboard layout changes. Not any of the gui-ed apps I tried (e.g. gedit). All gui-ed apps ignore the language settings.

Btw, everything works as supposed to if koreader is installed on ubuntu running under vmware workstation. But then it is not using the windows keyboard layout but one installed under ubuntu...

Last edited by edojan; Today at 11:52 AM.
Advert