Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
kindle
kindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Starting over after reading sample

I really like my K2 and the ability to read the first chapter of a book as a sample is something I try to always take advantage of. But it is frustrating to finish the sample and choose to purchase the book only to have the Kindle force you to start reading from the beginning. This often leads to 5 minutes of pressing the "next page" button to catch-up to where I was. Since the Kindle knows where you were in the sample and knows that you purchased the book (since it merges the sample with the full book on your home screen) how hard is it to set my current place in the book at where I left off in the sample?
kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Doesn't the "sync to furthest page read" solve this?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I agree that they should remember where you were in the sample and put you there in the new book. Seems like it would be an easy feature to add and it's not the first time I've heard it suggested. However it's quite simple to just look at the location number at the end of the sample and just go to that location in the new book. There's no need to manually page through like that.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
On the K1, just before I hit "Buy," I note the location number at the bottom. Then I delete the sample, open the New book, hit "Location," type in the number, and am right back where I was.

Sounds cumbersome, but after you do it a couple of times, it works very fast. i hope it is the same on the K2.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
kindle
kindle began at the beginning.

I never thought about that I will start noting my location before purchasing. So the location IDs match between the sample and the full book?
kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

this is an excellent idea, and I think Amazon really should consider it. sent this good suggestion to the Amazon.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle View Post
I never thought about that I will start noting my location before purchasing. So the location IDs match between the sample and the full book?
Yes. I've never had them fail to match up and I've bought around 80 books from Amazon. Also, unlike the "page" numbers that Sony uses, they do not change with font size.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 2, samples