View Poll Results: What do you buy?
Now I have the ereader, I buy only ebooks 82 51.90%
I buy a mixture of ebooks and paper books 65 41.14%
I still buy mainly paper books 11 6.96%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Do you still buy books printed on paper?

Since you got your ereader, do you still buy paper books?

I don't buy paper books to any noticeable degree. I more or less stopped once I got my kindle. If I think I'd like a book but it's unavailable in e-format, I give up on it.

Last edited by DMB; 06-09-2012 at 12:42 PM.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I used to buy second-hand books and a lot of them... I got my first e-reader 4 years ago and stopped buying paper books then. It took me until last fall to decide to part with all those paper books (hundreds and hundreds of them! !!) because I felt a real attachment to them and I thought I might re-read some. However, I finally realized that that wasn't going to happen so I bit the bullet and brought them all to the local Sally Ann. They had enough to start a small library! Buh-bye forever paper books!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'd prefer ebooks... But, when push comes to shove, I'll grab an actual physical copy every now and again.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I just bought 4 reference books (from Amazon) in paper, because I know I won't read them if they're on my kindle - paper books sit there at the side of my desk or bed and nag me til I read them. I can ignore the 125 kindle books I've got on my kindle quite easily while I'm reading another book.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
Avalona
Enthusiast
Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Fire 8 (2020)
Actually, I just ordered about 7 paper books in the last two weeks. I do prefer ebooks, but there are some things I need the paper books for (colour images, for one. A greyscale makeup manual is a bit hard to follow sometimes. Also, diagrams are better in some print books). Sometimes I'll wait to see if an ebook comes out, but if there's no sign of it, I'll get the paper book.
Avalona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
Libra
Libra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG (retired), ipad mini
i've gone back to print entirely now that i've been out of college awhile. i like printed books better than ebooks.

but like i said i prefer to read on printed books and that's what i buy.
Libra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I very rarely buy paper books, and then only non-fiction I can't get as ebooks.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Of course I do. E-readers are good for some kinds of books, not so good for others.

Coffee table artbooks/serious non-fiction how-to/academic reference don't really work all that well on a 6" e-ink screen, though some publishers do give it a valiant try.

And I'm a used bookshop haunter as well. Despite the mushrooming of backlist e-prints for certain categories of genre fiction, there's still an overwhelming majority of stuff which has simply not been available new in any format for years, if not decades, and which I don't expect to become so any time soon.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I just bought a signed mint condition In Boksburg by the photographer David Goldblatt. First p book I have bought in months. Cost me around $200. Found that Amazon have a stock of 2 and are asking $1300. Feeling a lot more positive about p books now.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
I can't stand paper books now.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
I can't stand paper books now.
Ditto.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't buy very many paper books anymore, but I have no aversion to them. I can alternate with nary a hitch. In fact, I just picked one up from the library (DTB) as the waiting list for the ebook was utterly ridonkulous.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
The majority of books I buy are e-books. Lately all I've bought in paper are books for my book club & I buy those used.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Haven't bought a pb in 2 years, I'll keep my small selection of pb that I have, but I'm through buying any more. My Sony is saving my eyes & my space!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I buy mostly second hand books at the library discard sale. Can't beat a bestseller hardcover for 50c that was only published about 24 months ago.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote