Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 08-29-2021, 01:38 PM   #1
MontyJ
Addict
MontyJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Calibre-Web admin function error

I have CW setup on my QNAP NAS, using the Pagekite ddns service for remote user access.

The basic setup works pretty good, tho with a large db of books, it is a little slow when several users are searching and displaying their various preferences.

The one consistent error I have is when I login via the normal Pagekite service as admin, ie
Code:
http://mywebsite.pagekite.net.
I connect and login ok, and can access all sections and features (so far) except one.

When I select the admin "view", the connection is immediately lost. This is not the admin profile selection but the user configuration admin function at:

Code:
http://mywebsite.pagekite.net/admin/view
If I login using localhost, I can access .../admin/view normally and configure user stuff. So this is not a deal killer in that I can still configure users locally, but not remotely.

Anyone else run across this?
MontyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:13 AM   #2
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
My answer will probably not help you too much, as I do not use Pagekite DNS service. And my calibre-web (just used for testing purposes) os not on a QNAP NAS but inside a docker container.

But still....

1 - access localhost - did not try
2 - from inside LAN (other PC): http://<IP>:8083/admin/view => works!
3 - from WAN (mobile network): http://<url>:8083/admin/view => works!

(url = mywebsiteurl.xyz)

Does it work for you with: http://<WAN-IP>:8083/admin/view. ?
mariosipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You should not be using a NAS for Calibre. Move anything to do with Calibre off of your NAS onto a non-NAS drive. You can have all kinds of trouble using a NAS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #4
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
@JSWolf

You are probably 100% correct if this topic is about calibre, however this topic is about calibre-web. It’s an app that uses the calibre database with it’s own code for presenting and serving the content to end-users.
mariosipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:49 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosipad View Post
@JSWolf

You are probably 100% correct if this topic is about calibre, however this topic is about calibre-web. It’s an app that uses the calibre database with it’s own code for presenting and serving the content to end-users.
Still best to not have anything Calibre related on a NAS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2021, 02:03 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In this case, it appears the data and the code are both running on the NAS. Slightly different from connecting to the NAS from another computer.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:50 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The OP has not said anything about calibre. They are running Calibre-Web. That is not the calibre server but a separate application that uses the calibre database and library to present the library over the web. It appears it does use calibre for some functions, but, I would be pretty sure that is by calls to the calibre command-line.

Jon: Please, stop answering questions like this. You are only demonstrating that you have no idea what is going on. Try to stick to areas you actually understand.

@MontyJ: I think this is really a question for the calibre-web developers. I don't know if they are here. But, it is possible the admin pages have been deliberately disabled from the external view. Or there is a configuration option somewhere to allow it. They could be doing this for security reasons. Otherwise, it might be a bug in their code and something is redirecting to a different URL.

Sorry, those are just guesses based on experience with other web pages. I haven't tried calibre-web, so I can't be sure. But, the test that @mariosipad is probably the best place to start.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:17 AM   #8
MontyJ
Addict
MontyJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks to all for the replies. With a lot of trial-and-error I was finally able to log in as "admin" and have all admin features available to me. Bottom line was that it was my misunderstanding of how the program needed to be accessed via the web rather than localhost.

I have another issue now, but different kind so will start a new thread.
MontyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre-web, qnap