Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Nook Glowlight 4, Apple iPad Pro 12.9"
Print Replica KFX files on Kindle Scribe

So, I'm not sure where this belongs, so I figured I'd start here and mods would move it where it needs to go.

So, I'm trying to load my Scribe with PDFs, but the experience with PDFs is sub-par.

If I throw the PDFs into 'Send to Kindle," the book gets converted on Amazon's end to a print-replica kfx file.

I can then copy the kfx file off the Kindle, throw it in Calibre, add metadata to it and sync it back over. That works great, EXCEPT for the cover art. I never get the cover art.

I read a thread somewhere that Calibre cannot add the cover art, because the device is now set up to use MTP instead of just mounting like an external disk.

Is there some way to manually add cover if I install a tool that lets me view the MTP filesystem, or is the location for the cover art just hidden from MTP?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:25 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
So, I'm not sure where this belongs, so I figured I'd start here and mods would move it where it needs to go.

So, I'm trying to load my Scribe with PDFs, but the experience with PDFs is sub-par.

If I throw the PDFs into 'Send to Kindle," the book gets converted on Amazon's end to a print-replica kfx file.

I can then copy the kfx file off the Kindle, throw it in Calibre, add metadata to it and sync it back over. That works great, EXCEPT for the cover art. I never get the cover art.

I read a thread somewhere that Calibre cannot add the cover art, because the device is now set up to use MTP instead of just mounting like an external disk.

Is there some way to manually add cover if I install a tool that lets me view the MTP filesystem, or is the location for the cover art just hidden from MTP?
Personal documents in Print Replica KFX do not support cover thumbnails. It has nothing to do with MTP.

Or at least nobody has figured out how to add them (I have tried). Print Replica books from Kindle store do have cover thumbnails, but the rules seem different for personal documents in this format.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 04:44 PM   #3
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Nook Glowlight 4, Apple iPad Pro 12.9"
if I go through Kindle Create to make the KFX it has a cover, but Kindle Create completely butchers the PDF. One the first page has selectable text. Every other page is just an image. I can't search the KFX or annotate it, except on that first page.

There is some way to do it. We just haven't figured it out yet.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote