Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #1
Novara
Novara began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Question Successor for my PRS-T3

Hello everybody,

Right now I'm using the Sony PRS-T3 and am very happy with it but since I read that Sony is getting out of the e-reader business, I'm looking to get a new reader. It's proving more difficult that expected. I've already looked through the various threads but haven't found what I'm looking for:

I use Calibre for my library and I need the new reader to support the tag system. I have in the area of 1700 books, I will not create collections on a device.

I do not want any reader that requires an account or registration anywhere.

Long battery life is a definite plus.

Effectively, I don't do anything but read books on the device. No games, no music, no wifi. I just need it to read books. If absolutely necessary, I'll consider an e-ink android tablet.

I considered the Pocketbook Touch Lux 3, but then saw reports that the battery won't last.

Should I just buy another PRS-T3 and hope it lasts?

Ideas? Help? Please?
Novara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Take a look at the Kobos. They work seamlessly with Calibre. I haven't used tags on my Kobo Aura HD, but from my understanding of what I've read here, it works well. I'm sure someone else will chime in on this subject.

You do need to register your Kobo when you first get it--but you can can set it up with "dummy" information and then forget about it. I've had my Aura HD for a year and a half now, and the only time I had wifi on was when I first got it to do the one time registration. I *think* there may be a hack that would allow you to bypass the registration process altogether.

Out of all the Kobo models available, I'd suggest either the Aura H2O or the Glo HD. Both are great devices. I have an Aura HD which I like and find the bigger screen is nice. The H2O is newer, but with the same size (6.8") screen of the HD. Both devices have front lights. After using a device with a front light, I'd never want to go back. It really helps in lower light situations--not necessarily complete darkness (although it works then too).
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I went from a T1 to a Kobo Aura H2O and it's a very worth while upgrade. All your ePub you have for your T3 will work on the H2O since the H2O also uses RMDSK (just a newer version). The screen of the H2O is very nice and the light is very even. The screen is Carta and 6.8". It feels more like reading a book than reading on a screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
Novara

Thanks for the recommendation, but I don't want any kind of registering. Not even a dummy.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novara View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, but I don't want any kind of registering. Not even a dummy.
All you need is a throwaway email address.
A throwaway email address is one you use for places that need an email but you don't want their junk.
And emails are free at yahoo.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
Novara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
All you need is a throwaway email address.
A throwaway email address is one you use for places that need an email but you don't want their junk.
And emails are free at yahoo.
I understand, but this is not an option.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I understand, but this is not an option.
I don't understand why not but if it isn't feasible it makes a bit of sense.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I don't understand why not but if it isn't feasible it makes a bit of sense.
Oh well....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can also manipulate the database of the Kobo in order to fake the registration. You should be able to find the exact SQL query you need in the Kobo forums.

If you really don't want to register, not with a throwaway account and not even by faking the database, then Kobo isn't an option for you I guess...

Kindles can read books without being registered (it prompts you to but you can skip it).
But in order to build collections automatically from the tags (using the calibre plugin "Kindle Collections"), you need to jailbreak. You don't need a jailbreak to have calibre manage your collections on the Kobo.
Currently we don't have a closed-Kindle jailbreak for the latest models, but if you are comfortable with accessing the serial port you can still do it.

Whether it is easier to update the Kobo database by hand or to insert a probe in a Kindle, I leave it to you to decide.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-13-2015 at 04:10 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's easier to manipulate the Kobo SQL database than to open the Kindle, void the warranty, and risk breaking it.

The battery on the H2O lasts a good long time. There are directions on MR what to put in the SQL database so you don't have to register. Once done, the H2O thinks it's registered. You don't even have to ever turn on WiFi.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-13-2015 at 04:38 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #11
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I have a Kobo Touch around here somewhere. I never did turn the Wifi on on it or register it. Was able to load books from Calibre just fine onto it.

I quit using it because I didn't like the lack of buttons. Touchscreens and I just do not get along well. I got a T1 which I love but it has its quirks. Someday I'll snag a T2 or T3 at a decent price. Gotta have page turn buttons.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:57 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I have a Kobo Touch around here somewhere. I never did turn the Wifi on on it or register it. Was able to load books from Calibre just fine onto it.
The original firmware on a Touch could be used without registering. But, the updated firmware and all their newer devices need to be registered. Or have it faked.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:38 AM   #13
Novara

Thank you all for the answers! I might be able to do the SQL thing but to jailbreak a Kindle is beyond my skill.

Is there any reader beyond the Kobo which will work with Calibre collections?
Old 11-14-2015, 01:56 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Is there any reader beyond the Kobo which will work with Calibre collections?
Can't think of any.

Info for editing the Kobo database can be found here...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=7

You could go with an Android based reader such as an Onyx or Boyue device and run Calibre Companion on it I suppose. Not collections per se, but I find CC a great way to manage a library.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:10 AM   #15
Novara

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Can't think of any.

Info for editing the Kobo database can be found here...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=7

You could go with an Android based reader such as an Onyx or Boyue device and run Calibre Companion on it I suppose. Not collections per se, but I find CC a great way to manage a library.
The Onyx looks interesting. It also has buttons, I see, which is also a plus. Thanks for the tip!