Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-03-2017, 12:44 PM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
A "real printed" book appears on the new Startrek Discovery

I still remember as a child discovering the old (and frayed) John Carter Martian series books in their faded red covers signifying (I think) the "Red Planet." And then later the Tolkien books. These were better than the simpler but still compelling Jules Verne, Heinlein, and HG Wells offerings. Thus it was that I embarked on a life as a science fiction fan and probably as an engineer as well because engineers could make these miracles happen!

The new Star Trek Discovery season on TV has started with an approximate date of 2100 to 2200 about 10 years before the time setting of the original Star Trek series on TV.

This series has been engineered (written) to address many things, the Cult of Trekkie's (not me, but certainly my brother in law), the continued success of SciFi on TV and film, and even some social engineering paradoxes that are front and center in our modern life.

Still it was a little surprising that the writers took the time to address the demise of the printed paper book by having the chief protagonist mutineer Michael Burnham carrying an old fashioned ink and paper Alice in Wonderland book in her duffel.

Alice in Wonderland on Star Trek Discovery

Maybe the prison system let her have printed books since they would naturally take her issue Tricorder away, and presumably the ability to read digital books as well.

So far after 3 episodes, I think the new series is going well, especially as it has a "Critter." ((Oh, I dearly love critters in Sci Fi.))

Last edited by frahse; 10-05-2017 at 01:54 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
pBooks have been shown in Star Trek: The Next Generation and in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn. So this is nothing new.

"It was the best of times. It was the worst of times."
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I wouldn't read too much into it. It would be much more difficult to give the audience an accidental glance into the contents of someone's data-pad than it would be to zoom in on a book on nightstand (or some such). Probably more a matter of logistics than it is a statement.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Kirk wore reading glasses in Wrath of Khan, if you can believe it. And of course Picard in next generation is bald.

The future in sci fi is always full of anachronisms.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:54 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Kirk wore reading glasses in Wrath of Khan, if you can believe it. And of course Picard in next generation is bald.

The future in sci fi is always full of anachronisms.
Kirk is allergic to the medicine that they prescribe for vision problems and by the 24th century no one will care about someone's lack of hair. As I recall Spock gave Kirk the book for a birthday gift at the start of the movie.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2017, 11:44 PM   #6
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I wouldn't read too much into it. It would be much more difficult to give the audience an accidental glance into the contents of someone's data-pad than it would be to zoom in on a book on nightstand (or some such). Probably more a matter of logistiAphorismscs than it is a statement.
Whoa there hombre! Star Trek has always been chock full of statements. Aphorisms everywhere.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:26 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Whoa there hombre! Star Trek has always been chock full of statements. Aphorisms everywhere.
As well as somewhat accurate predictions of the future. i.e. cell phones and tablet computers just to name two. That's one thing that Gene Roddenberry got right. He got input from the people in the know of what the future could actually bring as far as tech and he mixed it into the stories.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Of course it has been. But that's no proof that THIS is a statement of any kind.

This is a simple case of the written and visual mediums requiring different techniques to convey equal concepts. In a book, it would be dead simple to convey to the reader the title (and thus the allegorical implications--if any) of the ebook a character is reading from their datapad. You just tell them.

On the screen, the same would be much more challenging. Do you zoom in tight on a data-screen with the title page of the ebook showing? If you do, how long does the camera stay on it to ensure the information has been conveyed? Or do you clumsily have another character come by and say, "whatcha readin' on your datapad thingy there, Clyde?"
Spoiler:

Or perhaps you have a disembodied voice-over inform the audience that Clyde is enjoying A Tale of Two Cities from the ship's digital library.

No. You take the easy (and consequently statement-less) way out and show the physical book in the character's hands (or lying open on their stomach/nightstand).

Besides ... it's not as if "the future" won't have anachronisms and/or Luddites. *shrug*

It's very difficult for me to believe that the writers of Star Trek Discovery are somehow making a statement about the future of e-publishing (or that they just "goofed up").

EDIT: and I did not type the word "logistiAphorismscs" like it implies in your quote of my post! I want that made perfectly clear.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-09-2017 at 01:17 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

EDIT: and I did not type the word "logistiAphorismscs" like it implies in your quote of my post! I want that made perfectly clear.
Curious that!

Had not noticed.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Curious that!

Had not noticed.
Happens to me fairly often. I'm used to pasting in xterm and similar text oriented windows where the text cursor determines where the paste happens. So I get blindsided when I forget I'm pasting in a GUI window where the mouse cursor controls the paste.

I also use focus follows mouse, which more and more developers fail to take into consideration, and I get tripped up when I fail to click someplace that requires it.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:41 PM   #11
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Happens to me fairly often. I'm used to pasting in xterm and similar text oriented windows where the text cursor determines where the paste happens. So I get blindsided when I forget I'm pasting in a GUI window where the mouse cursor controls the paste.

I also use focus follows mouse, which more and more developers fail to take into consideration, and I get tripped up when I fail to click someplace that requires it.

Details, details! How we trip over them constantly in life and in literature!
Old 10-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #12
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Did they really say the F word in the last episode?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Did they really say the F word in the last episode?
Spoiler:
Yes, twice.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #14
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
That would be the first time for me to hear it on a national station.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
That would be the first time for me to hear it on a national station.
It's not on TV. It's on the CBS streaming service in the US and Netflix everyplace else.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote