Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 09-28-2024, 05:13 AM   #1
skil-phil
Connoisseur
skil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: kindle pw10
Read aloud problem

Hi,
I have just tried to use the read aloud feature.
Using the flite and speech dispatcher engines I get a voice (but terrible).
Using the Piper engine the only thing that happens is a word or phrase is highlighted but no sound. The same word remains highlighted but nothing else happens.
Tried a different voice. Still nothing.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Phil
skil-phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2024, 05:15 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by skil-phil View Post
Hi,
I have just tried to use the read aloud feature.
Using the flite and speech dispatcher engines I get a voice (but terrible).
Using the Piper engine the only thing that happens is a word or phrase is highlighted but no sound. The same word remains highlighted but nothing else happens.
Tried a different voice. Still nothing.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Phil
Which version of calibre? Which OS?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2024, 06:22 AM   #3
skil-phil
Connoisseur
skil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which version of calibre? Which OS?
Linux mint 21
Old 09-28-2024, 06:35 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Linux mint 21
Are you by any chance using Wayland?
Old 09-28-2024, 07:11 AM   #5
skil-phil
Connoisseur

No
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
gpu: i915 display-ID: :0 screens: 1
Advert
Old 09-28-2024, 07:12 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
gpu: i915 display-ID: :0 screens: 1
Then I'm out of ideas. Someone else will have to help.
Old 09-28-2024, 07:14 AM   #7
skil-phil
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then I'm out of ideas. Someone else will have to help.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 09-28-2024, 10:21 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you are not getting sound then its because the Qt Multimedia module is unable to connect to the audio device. Check that you have working pipewire/pulseaudio/alsa and try changing the default audio device in the read aloud configuration.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2024, 12:39 AM   #9
skil-phil
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you are not getting sound then its because the Qt Multimedia module is unable to connect to the audio device. Check that you have working pipewire/pulseaudio/alsa and try changing the default audio device in the read aloud configuration.
There is only one option 'Built-in Audio Analog Stereo'
Do have pulseaudio working in other apps.
Will fiddle some more.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Phil
Old 10-18-2024, 02:03 PM   #10
noodler
noodler began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I have a similar looking problem on Ubuntu 22.04 but I have found something unusual that suggests it's not the sound settings.

1. If I start read aloud, it highlights a sentence but does nothing - no sound and does not advance. I see a piper process max out 12/24 cores and allocate up to 1.5GB of memory.

2. However if I open the read aloud settings from the toolbar and click "cancel", it will read aloud the current sentence, then highlight the next, but not proceed further.

3. It will read a sentence each time I open and cancel the read aloud settings. If I click "ok" on the read aloud settings, it does not read the sentence.

4. I get no relevant messages / errors in the terminal or syslog

Hope that helps!
noodler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2024, 02:06 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

piper maxing out your CPUs is normal it proceeds to synthesize audio for the entire current chapter regardless of how slow the actual speaking goes.

Run the viewer as

calibre-debug -w /path/to/ebook

and you will ge tplenty of messgaes in the terminal.
Old 10-18-2024, 02:51 PM   #12
noodler

It looks like an audio clip is only getting sent to the device when the audio state is toggled.

These are the logs at the moment I cancel the settings dialog after 10s without audio that makes one sentence to be read out loud:

Code:
[10.45] Audio state: State.IdleState
[10.45] Utterance 1 audio output finished
[10.47] Audio sent to output: maxlen=16384 len(ans)=16384
[10.47] Audio state: State.ActiveState
At all other times, all I see I see is piper zooming through the synthesis and "Waiting for audio to finish playing..." with no errors but no sound or "audio output finished" messages e.g.

Code:
[1.22] Utterance 3 synthesis started
[1.22] Synthesized data read: 36864 bytes
[1.22] [piper-debug] Phonemizing text: “I hold at your neck the gom jabbar,” she said.
[1.22] [piper-debug] Converting 50 phoneme(s) to ids: aɪ hˈoʊld æt jʊɹ nˈɛk ðə ɡˈɑːm dʒˈæbɑːɹ, ʃiː sˈɛd.
[1.22] [piper-debug] Converted 50 phoneme(s) to 103 phoneme id(s): xxx
[1.22] [piper-debug] Synthesizing audio for 103 phoneme id(s)
[1.50] [piper-debug] Synthesized 2.2639455782312927 second(s) of audio in 0.280647179 second(s)
[1.50] Synthesized data read: 65536 bytes
[1.50] [piper-info] Waiting for audio to finish playing...
[1.50] [piper-info] Real-time factor: 0.13556893212154525 (infer=0.9396494800000001 sec, audio=6.931156462585034 sec)
[1.50] Utterance 3 got 102400 bytes of audio data from piper
[1.50] Utterance 4 synthesis started
[1.50] Synthesized data read: 34304 bytes
[1.50] [piper-debug] Phonemizing text: “The gom jabbar, the highhanded enemy.
[1.50] [piper-debug] Converting 40 phoneme(s) to ids: ðə ɡˈɑːm dʒˈæbɑːɹ, ðə hˈaɪhændᵻd ˈɛnəmi.
[1.50] [piper-debug] Converted 40 phoneme(s) to 83 phoneme id(s): xxx
[1.50] [piper-debug] Synthesizing audio for 83 phoneme id(s)
[1.79] [piper-debug] Synthesized 2.345215419501134 second(s) of audio in 0.28609584 second(s)
[1.79] Synthesized data read: 65536 bytes
[1.79] [piper-info] Waiting for audio to finish playing...
[1.79] [piper-info] Real-time factor: 0.13213628513180542 (infer=1.2257453200000001 sec, audio=9.276371882086167 sec)
[1.79] Utterance 4 got 99840 bytes of audio data from piper
[1.79] Utterance 5 synthesis started
Please find the full log attached.
Old 10-18-2024, 11:39 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes as I said its an issue with your audio device. For whatever reason its not reading the audio data that is available to it. Sadly audio on Linux is such an absolute cluster fuck that it could be anything, I haven't the first clue where you would go to debug it. The calibre piper code will emit the readyRead() signal when synthesized data is available. It is then upto the audio device to read that data, which it isnt on your system.
Old 10-19-2024, 11:46 AM   #14
noodler

I've taken a look at the code and found a fix by removing the line that sets a large buffer on the QAudioSink in piper.py:

Code:
self._audio_sink.setBufferSize(2 * 1024 * 1024)
With that line removed:
- the default buffer size on Ubuntu 22.04 is just 3794 bytes rather than 2097152 bytes
- piper tts now plays fine - no stutter or glitches (sounds great btw, looking forward to using it!)

It feels like the Nagle algorithm type issue i.e. QT/linux is waiting for enough data to be written into the buffer before processing it to avoid under runs but calibre only writes one utterance at a time and waits for it to be processed to sync the highlight. A single utterance is tiny relative to a 2MB buffer size so processing stalls.

Might count as a QT bug?

I guess might need to elevate buffer size to a setting given different platforms seem quite sensitive to it.

Last edited by noodler; 10-19-2024 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-19-2024, 11:00 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Definitely a bug in either Qt or the underlying audio driver. It's pretty ridiculous for a audio driver to refuse to output audio until its buffer is full. What if the user is playing short, intermittent audio sounds? I will note it works fine on all the Linux, Windows and macOS systems I have. If you can reproduce it easily I suggest writing a small PySide based script to reproduce it (just create an audio device with a large buffer and write some random raw audio data into it) and open a bug report at Qt with your reproducer script.

And in the next release there will be a tool to generate Piper based audio overlays which means you can pre-create the TTS audio files and play then directly using the calibre viewer to workaround the Qt bug.