Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
pitt
pitt began at the beginning.

Device: pc
help with small issue with booksmarks and last page read accross pc's

Hello,
I have calibre-portable on my memory flash/drive, but for some strange reason, every time I open it on a different computer, the bookmarks and the last page I read are not there--they are only on the computer I last read. Is it a way to bypass this? Or did I do something wrong when I installed it on my memory flash/drive? I tried to export/import the bookmarks, but that does not work either. Am I missing something? Could anyone please help me with this? I would really appreciate it, thank you [=
pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Calibre does not sync the last page read, bookmarks, etc. That can only be done via Amazon. If these are books from non-Amazon sources, you would have to send them via the personal document service to get last page read, etc to sync.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Susan; the OP is using Calibre Portable on a flash drive, and using the same card on multiple PCs.

All I cab think is to double check the preferences in the calibre-viewer related to "Remember the current page when quitting". This is found in Viewer | Preferences (the gear symbol) | General | Miscellaneous Options.

This will add a calibre bookmark file to the ePub.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
pitt

Hello,
Thank you for replying, you guys. My apologies for not specifying that it is the calibre-viewer as pointed out by Peter. The problem is that even though the "Remember the current page when quitting" is checked still does not work when used in various computers. As I mentioned in my previous post, I experimented with the importing and exporting the bookmarks, but that did not work. It was the same as when opening the ebook and starting at a different position than the last page I read from that ebook.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I assume you are reading books in some format other than epub and you are launching the calibre viewer directly. Either read epubs or launch the calibre viewer from within calibre, by running calibre-portable.exe, rather than directly running ebook-viewer.exe
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
pitt

I am sorry Kovid. I am trying to be clear, but I am just complicating things [= You are correct in your assumption that I am using a format other than epub--I am using mobi. But I am running calibre-portable to launch calibre-viewer. Perhaps, as you mentioned it has to do with the format of the book? So I need epub format in order for "Remember the current page when quitting" to work? Is that correct?
Thank you for your patience and help [=
Old 08-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
With epub it will definitely work. If you are using calibre-portable.exe it should work with mobi as well, but in any case, using epub with the viewer is better.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #8
pitt

I will do [= Thank you so very much, Kovid.

Tags
booksmarks, last page, portable calibre